38

---

Author's POV

Friendship within the Awakened World is rather odd, and sometimes can be misplaced. The same thing could be said of Park Hyeonga's and Ka Inyong's relationship with Kang Sucheon.

There are benefits that come with being friends with Kang Sucheon, the heir of Baekdu and a part of the Top 4 Rookies in Korea.

As a young Awakener, the weak cling to the strong for protection. In this case, Hyeonga and Inyong not only cling to Sucheon for safety, but also for the sake of not being alone in a world controlled by the strong. Someone young, even with ill intentions, cannot deny their need for having someone to call a friend.

Hyeonga and Inyong may feel inferior to Sucheon, but they see him as a friend, despite his cruel behaviors.

So it is natural for the two teens to give their condolences for the former Chairman, his father. Though, ever since the news of his death, Sucheon has been unreachable. Hyeonga tried calling his phone or messaging him non-stop; too worried to leave him alone after such circumstances. While Inyong decided to contact Kang Suman instead, the current Chairman of Baekdu.

It was rather expected that the older Kang would take that position, especially since the heir is too young to lead one of the biggest groups in Korea.

After a week of the former Chairman's death, Kang Suman allowed the two teenagers to enter his home—to visit their friend.

Currently, the pair was standing outside Sucheon's bedroom. According to his uncle, Sucheon has been spending most of his time in his room and only leaving the room if demanded by his uncle.

Once the pair entered the room, they were too surprised to speak, to greet the one person they did not expect to see.

They do not know what they should do upon seeing Mira casually laying down on Sucheon's bed as she was too busy with her phone to notice them.

Though they have met years ago, Hyeonga and Inyong were not close with Mira like Sucheon was. They witnessed Sucheon grow mad and complain about Mira's sudden disappearance. When they found Mira in the Academy, they were shocked and made sure to avoid Sucheon and his anger for a few hours.

So it is a great shock to see Mira in his room as if she's been there a lot of times.

Luckily, the pair didn't need to announce their presence as it was Mira who noticed them. "Oh, hi,"

Mira shut her phone off, an awkward smile stretching onto her lips. "If you're looking for Sucheon, he's there," She stammered finding the atmosphere too awkward while she pointed to the door at the corner of the room.

None of the pair was able to respond to Mira's words, too shocked to voice out anything. To see the person your friend has been angry with for the past years, of course, they'll be startled by her presence.

Not long after, the door at the corner of the room was opened—revealing Sucheon.

"What are you doing here?"

Inyong and Hyeonga turned to the source of the voice, finally able to see their distant 'friend'.

"We wanted to check up on you," Inyong replied, his words coming out rather slowly while his gaze came back to stare at Mira. Sucheon noticed the confused gaze the pair was giving to Mira, and it was clear that she could also detect it as she remained silent.

"This is awkward," Mira couldn't help but think in her mind before leaving her comfortable position on the bed as she stood up. "Well, I'm leaving, bye,"