43

---

Author's POV

Jiwoo won, and Mira won her bet with Duke.

She stared in shock, her gaze fixated on Duke's unconscious form in the corner of the room—blood covered his whole arm.

It was an amazing match, especially seeing what it's like for Jiwoo to have an opponent that can almost match his speed. But, the match was terrifying for Mira to witness, to see one of the most determined people she knows lose to a recently identified Awakener.

The gymnasium was filled with cheers once Jiwoo won, everyone screaming in glee—Jiwoo's victory is the Academy's. Despite the loud voices of her companions beside her, Mira couldn't cheer as she could only stare at Jiwoo. Her expression was unreadable to everyone but to one, Sucheon, who glanced at her and noticed the frightened look on her face.

She was terrified of Jiwoo's potential, it has barely been a year since he seriously trained his Awakener Powers compared to Duke who have been shaped into a strong Awakener since he was born. And yet, Duke Grane sat at the corner: still and unconscious.

Mira is supposed to be happy. Her closest friend won against one of the strongest rookies in the world, and she won against her bet with Duke Grane, yet, she only felt dread at his victory.

Forcing out a smile, Mira tried to be happy for Jiwoo—this is a big achievement for him and she shouldn't bring the mood down.

"We can't visit Jiwoo today?" Gangseok questioned as Subin answered him, "That's what Mr. Kartein said. He needs to check on Jiwoo's condition."

The group is currently in the medical building, right outside Jiwoo's assigned room wherein Kartein is treating him. It hasn't been long since Jiwoo's core was healed, so it should be treated with care, but with Jiwoo using it, there's no doubt that his core was affected.

"Uhm," The group was approached by the Non-Affiliated students, "Is it really true that Jiwoo defeated Duke Grane?"

"Yeah,"

Jisuk smirked as he said, "Jiwoo beat Duke Grane who kicked Subin's ass big time," This resulted in Subin kicking Jiwoo on his side as the group stared at Subin's sudden attack. "You bastard!"

"Subin, you're the only one on our side who lost! You're an embarrassment to us!"

Wooin and Gangseok held the two to stop them from engaging in a fight, but their arms were still able to each other as they pulled on each other's hair.

"Shut up! You punk!"

With the sight, Mira would've probably laughed at the state of the two Awakeners who she calls her friends, but she couldn't get the image of Duke's unconscious body off her mind.

Suddenly, the door of Jiwoo's room was opened, Jiwoo rushed out while his peers turned to him in confusion.

"It's Jiwoo,"

"Jiwoo?!"

"Are you feeling ok?!"

"Where are you going?"

Questions were thrown but were left unanswered.

"Sorry! I'll catch you guys later!"

The group fell silent as they stared at Jiwoo's retreating form.

Not long after, Mira also left the building, Jisuk noticing the grim expression on her face as she walked away. "I'll talk to her later," Jisuk noted to himself.

Mira was pacing; she don't why, but she wanted to reach Duke's room as soon as possible. Once she was outside of his room, she didn't bother knocking on his door as she slammed it open. She walked in and spotted Duke sitting on his bed—weary and bruised, a bandage covering some of his skin.