6: Screw Press

It's about 25 minutes later that we're pulling up in front of a rather fancy house in the Hollywood hills. Meg punches in the gate code, and we're through to the courtyard. Everyone climbs out, stretching their legs, except Xavier. The little shit is snoring away. I want to punch him until he wakes up, but instead Meg gently shakes his shoulder, and he growls at her a little before allowing her to guide him out of the vehicle and to the door.

Meg reaches into her purse to pull out a key, which shouldn't surprise me. And yet it does.

She's supporting Xavier on one side while I've got the other side. Olivia takes the key from the personal assistant, turning it in the lock and pushing open the door. Together, Meg and I haul the punk inside, and I hear Olivia closing the door behind us.

"Which way?" I ask, trying to take more of the lug's weight so Meg doesn't fall over.

Olivia brusquely steps around us, leading us down a hallway to the left. I'm a bit disappointed that she knows the way to his bedroom, but she's an adult, I suppose. When we enter the room, it's a mess. Clothes strewn everywhere. The sheets are barely on the bed, the corner on one side completely loose, and the top sheet is bundled in a ball in the center of the bed. Maneuvering him over to the mattress, I signal to Meg that she should step back. Because the ladies are watching, I gently lower him to a horizontal position when what I really want is to drop him.

Before I can even take a breath, Meg is unlacing his fancy dress shoes and pulling them off. She seems too familiar with this task, and it makes my heart ache for her. Why should such a sweet woman have to put up with his self-destructive behavior? Placing her hand on my arm and giving it a little squeeze, (trying to suss out my muscles, eh?) Olivia smiles and suggests I wait for them in the hall.

The women exchange glances and talk in whispered tones. I hear a few words: "Titus", "parents", and "tomorrow morning", but I can't hear the whole conversation. Meg moves to the bed again, removing Xavier's belt; in his half-awake state, the drunk man grabs Meg's wrist tightly, focusing on her intensely.

"Stay with me," he grates out, pulling her onto the bed with him.

Plaintively, the younger woman looks at Olivia who shrugs, "Up to you," she mouths.

Kicking off her shoes, Meg climbs into bed with Xavier, curling up at his side. He pulls her close to him, wrapping his arm around her, sighing deeply as he fades back into sleep.

Olivia exits the room, clearly taken aback that I've watched the whole scene with her, Meg, and my co-star. With a sweeping motion, she gestures that we should exit. I can't help looking around the rest of his home on our way out. Every other room is neat and tidy, which tells me Xavier must live only in his bedroom. Just as we arrive at the front door, we hear a noise coming from a sunken room between the living room and the pool. Oliva whirls around in her party dress, heading straight for that space, and only my hand on my elbow slows her.

"Don't go barrelling in there, Olivia. You don't know who it is," I caution.

She agrees reluctantly, and I grab a large metal vase off an end table as we tiptoe towards the room. When we arrive, I protectively put my arm out to keep her from entering first. Peering around the corner, I spot the other room Xavier clearly lives in, as there is trash scattered everywhere, including old pizza boxes and empty beer cans. There's a guy on the floor, playing a video game, wearing headphones and leaning this way and that as he explores whatever world is on the screen. Doesn't look too dangerous, and I'm sure I can take him out if I need to. Putting the vase down on the floor, I step into the space, attracting his attention and startling him at the same time.

He rips off the headphones, putting one hand over his heart. "Who are you? And what are you doing in Xavier's crib?" Then he points his finger at me and says, "You look familiar. Do I know you?"