35: Release Early

Titus plays with his toys for a while with this babysitter he met a few times, but before long he's bored. And Titus bored is not a fun sight to see. He fidgets and whines. This time, he keeps looking out of the window asking when his mommy will be home.

Minnie's usually calm demeanor is cracked. She doesn't know what to do with a three year old. Seriously? Did they still drink from bottles? What did he eat? What else could he play? She's at a loss. And Meg hasn't called, so she has no idea how long she's on babysitting duty. She doesn't know if Xavier has been located or if he's okay. Debating whether or not to call Meg, Minnie looks in the fridge and finds very little actual food. Great. The kid is crying for his mom, and he says he's hungry. What the fuck should she do?

"Harry?"

He's picked up the phone, although it sounds like he's been napping. "Hmmmm? Minnie? Everything okay? Did you find Xavier?"

She's close to tears, and she spills out her insecurities to this man who has become more important to her than she ever thought a man would be. "Meg left to look for him, and she's not home, and I've got her kid, and I don't know what the hell to do with a three year old. Dammit. I probably shouldn't curse around a three-year-old either. Fuck it. HELP!"

==========

It's all I can do not to laugh when she calls, but this is the first time she's really asked me for assistance in any form, so I refrain from releasing the giggles. Instead I get dressed and tell her I'll meet her if she wants. She's unsure about whether she should take the kid with her or wait at Meg's apartment.

We finally agree that we will meet at her place. The songs playing in my head are all from animated movies, and I don't know that I've ever gotten dressed as quickly as I do this evening. I'm strangely excited at this plan to spend time with my lo- uh, girl and a child. It should be fun!

===========

When his tears are all cried out, Xavier is embarrassed. How can he possibly face the woman he cares so deeply for now? He's just cried into her boobs, likely getting snot all over her shirt. How does one move forward from that?

But his Meg -- she's so gentle. So sweet. When his tears have stopped and he pulls back, she frames his face with her hands, taking a good look at his tear-stained face with its red-rimmed eyes. And rather than being offended or turned off, she presses a kiss to the corner of his mouth. The pain she'd felt at listening to him cry made her own eyes teary. She's torn apart by his agony. It hurts her so much, and she feels a stab close to her heart.

Shocked, Xavier blinks at her a few times. The look in her eyes is one of tenderness and kindness and.....yes, respect.

"I'm sorry," he whispers to her. "I'm a big baby."

"Hush, you," she breathes back to him, smoothing his eyebrows with her fingertips, "You are not a baby at all. You're a brave man."

But he's already shaking his head, "I'm not even remotely brave, Meg. How can you say such a thing? You don't know the full story."

She runs her finger over his lips, "You're wrong, Xavier. I know enough. But tell me the story anyway to be sure I have the details."

Sighing, Xavier lies back on his pillow, distancing himself emotionally and physically from Meg. "Here's the thing, Meg. It was truly my fault. I was a kid, and I was rambunctious. I would run around and play jokes on people after he put on my microphone. I was a little shit, so I am sure I deserved to be smacked a time or two."

Meg rolls over and straddles Xavier, sitting up while her legs are around his waist. "NO. NO. NO. That's not right, Xavier, and I refuse to allow you to think that way anymore."