31: Bench Press

"Stop fidgeting, Xavier," Minnie instructs as the limo pulls up to the red carpet for the premiere. There are fans everywhere, and she doesn't know if Harry has arrived. As the two biggest stars in the film, Xavier and Harry will be expected to sign autographs and do some press as they approach the theater.

"I don't want to do this, Olivia. Can't we just go back to my place and get wasted?" he tucks his shirt into his waistband, and pulls the cuffs through the ends of his Louis Vuitton suit jacket.

Minnie gives him a pointed look, "Do I need to march you past the fans quickly?"

Rolling his eyes, Xavier turns to her, "No, mom. I'll be a good boy. I just wish....."

Before he can finish his sentence, the door to the Town Car opens, and he steps out onto the red carpet amidst a cacophony of fans screaming his name. The noise is overwhelming, and Minnie exits behind him, reminded once more why she hates red carpet events. But she's here to do a job, so she's donned a rather simple and understated Versace dress for the evening. The black lacy hemline falls just below her knees while the long sleeves with the same lace help keep her arms warm in the chilly February night. Her black stiletto heels wrap around her ankles with peek-a-boo cutouts on the sides. As soon as they are out of the vehicle, she is handed a VIP tag because otherwise she might be mistaken for a fan. Hanging it around her neck, she nudges Xavier to move on.

Sticking by his elbow, she reminds him to smile, and she watches the actor in him come out as he turns on the charm for the fans and reporters. Relieved, she distances herself, watching as he shakes hands and signs movie posters.

=============

At home, Meg watches the red carpet event on the television screen while Titus plays with his cars, repeating "Zoom zoom" over and over again until she tunes him out, tunes everything out, simply watching Xavier's face as he flirts with the camera and the fans. Meg's face flushes, and she feels warm. The heat in the apartment must be set too high. Gulping down water, she can't peel her eyes away from the monitor as her (former?) boss parades himself happily down the red carpet.

She shouldn't feel disappointed. Of course he doesn't need HER. He's an actor, and he makes a lot of money for a reason. But still it stings that he's not even remotely upset that she's not by his side. In fact, he doesn't appear troubled at all by other people's kids, kissing babies and patting the heads of young children. So apparently it's only her child that turns him off. If only he'd give some sign that he misses her. That he needs her. Any sign will do.....

"Zaver!" Titus yells at the television.

Meg whips her head around to look at her son who is pointing at the screen. "What did you say?" She asks him.

"Zaver my friend!!" Titus squeals, continuing to point at the screen.

==========

I'm halfway through the gauntlet of fans and journalists when I spot Xavier. Stopping what I'm doing (which is signing a copy of my Grammy-winning third album), I hand the pen back to the young female owner of my greatest accomplishment (so far anyway). Immediately I stalk over to Xavier and wrap him in a hug. I do this for two reasons. One is that I want the cameras to catch it. The kid needs the break, and us looking like the best of friends will help. But the other reason for the hug is my need to check on him. He'd been so abrupt at the airport yesterday, and I am worried about how he will do today without Meg. She's been by his side for the entire film making process.

So I bury my face in his neck and whisper, "How're you doing?"

He takes a deep breath which I sense is to staunch the tears just below the surface and he claps me twice on the back (more as a display I think, but maybe he's truly appreciative). "Thanks for asking, Harry. Olivia has been amazing."