47: Major Release

When Xavier knocks on the door, Meg's nerves kick into high gear. Her anxiety had been idling right at the intersection of "holy shit" and "I can't do this" ever since X's call around lunchtime. Informing her that he'd already cleared all of the roadblocks by getting Harry and Olivia to babysit, he politely asked her to go out on a date with him.

"On a real date, Meg-Pie. Just you and me," and his voice had barely shook although he was internally freaking out. What if she said no? What if she didn't like his choice of babysitters? What if....

But she hadn't said no. She'd agreed quite readily. But now that the moment had arrived, she isn't sure that her outfit is right or that she'd packed the right things for Titus in his overnight bag.

Her son has been bouncing off the walls since she'd told him that he was going to spend time with Daisy again. He's carrying around his Jellycat puppy with the one amputated leg, hopping up and down on one foot and then the other in his genuine excitement at his sleepover with Harry and Olivia.

"Da-zy....Da-zy....Da-zy....Da-zy...." he repeats the dog's name over and over again in a singsong manner.

Her stomach filled with a million butterflies dancing the polka, Meg hopes that she's prepared herself as well. She had slipped a few items into her oversized yellow purse just in case: a toothbrush, some extra panties, her makeup bag, and three or four condoms. Her face had flamed as she'd added them to the interior side pocket, but she reminded herself that she'd bought them for exactly this possibility, so she might as well make sure she has them with her. After all, one unplanned pregnancy in her life was enough.

Xavier's eyes open wide when he sees her in the striped shirt and flirty blue skirt, secured with a belt that matches her tan shoes. The scoop neck blue and white striped knit shirt accentuates her smallish boobs, and she'd decided to go without a bra tonight, drawing attention to her chest with a braided choker. With a spin of his finger, X invites her to pivot so he can see the whole outfit. Meg does, feeling embarrassed at the way the skirt twirls around her legs, but Xavier is already drooling, and they haven't even started their date yet.

"ZAVER MY FRIEND!" her son yells, tackling Xavier around the knees, hugging tightly, his backpack weighing him down. His stuffed dog ends up nearly taking out Xavier's private parts as her boy flings his hand to wrap around the leg of his favorite male.

"I sure am, buddy!" Xavier picks Titus up in his arms, and the boy gives him a real hug this time, his arms around the teen's neck. Meg's throat threatens to close up, but then she reminds herself that even though her mascara is waterproof, it might not withstand her tears, so she takes a deep breath and admires her men together.

"Ready?" X asks, looking at Meg where she's standing nervously and awkwardly.

With a nod, she picks up her purse, closing the door behind them and locking it as Xavier steps into the elevator.

==========

I've had kids at my house before. Of course I have. But this is different somehow. When kids have stayed over before, it's been with their parents in the mix. Thank goodness Minnie is here with me to help. She and Daisy have spent the day sprucing up the guest bedroom. I'd brought up the idea of staying at Minnie's apartment since Titus has already slept there.

"Um....I don't want to, Harry," she'd murmured while looking at the floor. Eventually she'd made eye contact with me, "I'm not ready to go back to that life yet."

In a way, that made sense. She equates my house with a vacation from her real life, and I guess that's not a bad thing. Her apartment reminds her of work, and we've both gotten used to her wearing my clothes instead of her own. Eight days days she's lived with me now, and nothing about it feels forced or hard. It's completely natural. Which should be weird in and of itself, as moving in together should be something momentous. Yet for us, it seems perfectly normal and comfortable.