22: Release Clause

I spot her coming back, and from the rigidity of her back, I recognize that she's upset. Something tells me it's not about me anymore, and that concerns me. But we don't have the kind of relationship where I can ask.

She sits down across from me, and almost immediately stands up, disappearing. When she returns, she has a beverage that is definitely alcoholic.

"Everything okay?" I query.

"Fine," she nods, but if she thinks she's fooling anyone, she needs to reassess her poker face.

Taking a sip, she plugs in her phone, pulling a book out of her bag, settling back to read, studiously avoiding me now.

I've been called stubborn a time or two, and I know I should drop it, but she seriously looks so unhappy, I cannot ignore it.

"Look," I lean forward, touching her knee, "I know we're not on the best of terms right now but I'm here to listen."

For a brief moment, I think she's going to thaw. Her hands tremble a little, and her lip starts to quiver. A stranger sitting near us would never notice. They're all subtle signs.

Abruptly, she shakes her head, "I'm fine," is her comment, and I know she's faking. But what more can I do? She won't let me in.

==============

Strolling through the airport, Xavier and Meg walk close enough to touch, but they don't. It's too public, and Meg can't allow her parents to see her photographed with X. The lecture she would get isn't worth it. They might even pressure her to quit, or maybe refuse to take care of Titus which would tie her hands so that she had to resign.

When they find a restaurant, they choose a table in the back, and X pulls his ball cap over his eyes to help with becoming less recognizable.

"Do you want a glass of wine?" he asks.

"Nope," she assures him, "First of all, neither of us is legal. Secondly, I don't need alcohol to heighten my emotions or have a good time. Especially not when I'm with you."

Blushing, Xavier ducks his head behind his menu. Holy hell. What is he supposed to say to that? She really is the sweetest creature on the face of the planet. He hears Minnie's voice in his head, reminding him, "People like to know what you're thinking. You have to open up sometimes."

Clearing his throat, Xavier closes the menu, leaning forward, preparing to tell her everything he's thinking. Meg looks up at him expectantly, which is the exact moment the server slams down two glasses of water and demands, "What'dya want?"

Xavier is pissed off. He starts to stand up and tell off the bitchy woman when Meg touches his hand, and he calms immediately. "We would like one Caesar Salad with chicken and one steak, medium, baked potato, all of the fixings. Thanks," she orders.

The woman grunts and moves away, and Xavier captures Meg's eyes with his, "Thank you," he whispers. "How did you...."

"Xavier Alex," she starts, sitting up tall, "I've known you for exactly a year today. I know how you order your steak. I pay attention to such things." She puts her shoulders back defensively, "I'm really good at my job, you know. Really good."

Smiling, he knows he needs to fix this, "Meg, I know you're good at your job. I think...." he takes a giant breath before he continues, "I've been in such a drunken stupor this last year that it didn't register -- YOU didn't register. But you have to know....." His voice stalls as he finds himself choked up, so he humphs to get the frog out of his throat, "how very much I appreciate you."

Meg starts to speak, but Xavier holds up his hand in a stop signal, "No. If you talk now, I'll never get this out. Meg, you....." he stalls, seeking the correct words, "You mean the world to me. You have stood by me longer than anyone, including Olivia. And I have done a lousy job of letting you know how much you mean to me."