19: Press Your Advantage

"Harry!" Olivia exclaims, wiping her hands on a towel. "I had no idea you were going to be here." She grabs a frothy concoction in a margarita glass and takes a giant gulp.

"Uh, no. I didn't know you were going to be here either," I say, looking at James accusingly.

He merely shrugs, "It wasn't a secret."

Julia rolls up the towel she's holding and smacks James with it. "You didn't tell them the other was coming! James!"

The whole exchange rings true, which is how I know this isn't a set up.

"Minnie hasn't been over in ages," Julia wraps her arm around Olivia's waist, planting a kiss on her cheek, "We've all missed her," then she adds in a whisper, "Especially Max. He's had a crush for the last two years."

Olivia laughs, "Yes, so let's keep reminding him that I knew him back when he was just out of kindergarten." She takes another chug of her drink, making eye contact with me, clearly uncomfortable by my presence.

I'm feeling quite the opposite though. All day I had wanted to see her and hear her laugh. (I live for you. I long for you.) And now here she is in front of me, relaxed.

"Harry!" Carey leans her forearms on the counter next to him, "Why'd you call Minnie by that other name? Olivia?"

Olivia laughs, throwing her head back, "Oh, Care! That's my name too."

"It is?" the child questions, her head swiveling to Olivia. I'm lost in the shuffle, still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that she's here. Almost like I conjured her.

"Yep," Olivia takes another swig from her half-full glass, brushing her hair from her face, "My full name's a mouthful. Do you want to learn it?"

Carey nods, her eyes wide.

With a deep breath, Olivia says, "WilhelminaOliviaWakefield."

"Holy cow! That's long!" squeals Carey, and I nod my head because she's right. It is quite long. "But there's no Minnie in there," the child ponders.

"Minnie is a nickname for my first name, Wilhelmina. Which is a name I only use on my driver's license," Olivia cautions, "So I better not hear you trying to call me that. I won't answer." And she bops Carey's nose, causing the girl to giggle.

Just then Olivia's phone rings. With a worried glance at where it rests on the kitchen table, she turns away from the counter, grabbing her drink. "I better take this in private," she says, carrying her phone outside by the pool.

Without her presence, the room grows dimmer. At least that's my impression.

==============

Minnie's hands are shaking as she answers the phone. Not because she's worried about the call. No. That's not the issue. It's Harry. Here. In her world. KNOWING HER NAME. Damn.

"Amelia," she answers the phone, "What's going on? Are you okay?"

Twenty minutes later, Minnie is completely drained from the emotional encounter with her former client which started with veiled threats of suicide and ended with Amelia agreeing to think about counseling again. It isn't a solution, but it's a step in the right direction. The woman has at least promised to not hurt herself today. Minnie makes a mental note to call and check on her tomorrow.

During the call, she's done as threatened, emptying her margarita, and it's definitely shaping up to be the kind of night where she needs two or more to stay sane. She's sitting on the chaise lounge and leans her head back to look at the stars overhead.

What the hell is she going to do about Amelia?

What the hell is she going to do about Daisy?

Fuck. What the hell is she going to do about Harry?