36: Press Your Luck

Meg convinces Xavier to take a shower, and she spends the time digging through his freezer for something edible, but there's nothing there that will be quick. Searching the fridge, she finds the ingredients for a quick breakfast for dinner as she whips up pancakes from scratch. In the pantry, she finds some syrup as well as peanut butter, so she puts both on the table. While the sting of New York is still painful, that ache is fading.

Xavier appears at the door to the kitchen, taking in his wom-- uh -- personal assistant. What is she doing here? Why is she with him? She could have any guy she wanted.

Hesitantly, he approaches her at the stove where she hasn't turned around. Standing next to her, he is warmed by her presence and the heat from his appliance.

"Pancakes," Xavier states.

Oh crap. "Do you not like pancakes?" Meg is scared she's made a horrible mistake.

"How did you know I love pancakes?" Xavier asks, and Meg laughs, shrugging.

Turning on the radio, Xavier sets the table. The strains of "Tu" by Shakira come on, and he sings along:

Porque eres tu mi sol

La fe con que vivo

La potencia de mi voz

Los pies con que camino

Eres tu amor

Mis ganas de reír

El adiós que no sabre decir

Porque nunca podre vivir sin ti

"That's pretty," Meg sighs, placing the plate piled high with pancakes on the table next to some bacon she'd found in the freezer and cooked quickly. "What do the words mean?"

Xavier blushes, "It's a love song."

"Oh," Meg seats herself, using a fork to add two pancakes to her plate. Her disappointment that he won't tell her the words is misinterpreted.

"I can change the station if you don't want to hear Latin love songs," he offers, moving towards the stereo.

"No!" Meg is louder than planned in her response, and he freezes. "I just wanted to know what the lyrics mean. That's all. It's okay. Come eat."

"Because you are--my sun--

the faith that I live with,

the strength of my voice,

the feet that I walk with.

You are, love,

my will to laugh,

the goodbye that I won't be able to say

because I'll never be able to live without you."

He whispers the words to her, and she looks up, catching his eyes as the syrup drips off the bite of food on her fork.

"Fuck," she breathes out. "That's, uh, beautiful." Xavier sits down, and they finish eating in near silence while Ricky Martin belts out "El Amor De Mi Vida".

"Where's Titus?" Xavier asks, "With his dad?"

Scraping at the syrup on her empty plate, Meg doesn't look up, "His father is not in the picture. Hasn't been since I told him I was pregnant back in high school. Titus is with Olivia."

"Oh," Xavier feels like a jealous prick for asking. "I'm sorry I freaked out, Meg." He looks at her, putting down his fork, and he wants to move, but he knows he needs to say this first. "I was a jackass. You see....." his voice trails off, and Meg is nervous to hear what he says next.