15: Apple Press

Meg is early to the hotel for the next long day of interviews, having been awakened at the first light of dawn by her happy dreams -- and Titus jumping on her bed. Together the two make blueberry muffins sweetened with applesauce instead of oil, and Titus insists she pack the leftovers to take to work.

"Mr. X like muf'ns, mama?" Titus asks, and Meg laughs.

'Mr. X' is the name she uses to refer to her boss. It makes him sound mysterious, which is exactly what Meg prefers. If her parents knew she was working for Xavier Tarrango, the notorious bad boy of Hollywood, they would be reluctant to babysit Titus for her. Of course, they will find out one day because her name will be in the credits of 'Press Release' as his personal assistant. But she's not ready to tell them yet.

Letting herself into the suite at the hotel reserved for Xavier, Meg sets the muffins on the coffee table. Starting a fresh pot of coffee in the maker on the counter, Meg prepares a little breakfast spread. Rubbing her hands on her slacks, she glances around nervously. What else could she do while waiting for X and O to arrive? Oh! She can fill up the ice bucket! Grabbing the empty plastic container from the table, Meg heads down the hallway to locate the ice machine.

Returning to the suite, she frantically pats her pockets for the key card. Where is it? After searching every ounce of her person, Megan comes to the conclusion that she'd left it inside the room. Dammit. She had been so meticulous about everything, and she wanted this morning to be perfect, a continuation of last night's evening.

Tears well up. She won't be in the room to greet him with a smile when he walks in. There's no way security will let her in. After all, she's young so they would just think she's a crazed fan.

Ugh. Sliding her back down the door so that she's seated in the hall, cradling the ice bucket in the space between her criss-crossed legs, Meg takes several deep breaths, trying to get herself under control. Why hadn't she put the key in her pocket?

"Lost, little girl?" A familiar rumbling voice causes Meg to raise her head from her spot on the floor until she is looking into the piercing brown eyes of Xavier.

Meg's heart has jumped into her throat, and she knows how pathetic she must look, sitting on the floor with the ice bucket between her knees. While she knows she should make a joke so he doesn't know how important this is to her, she's incapable. Her tears spill over, and Xavier immediately stops teasing, crouching down in front of her to examine her more closely.

"Meg?" he says tenderly, "What's wrong?"

The tears threaten to overtake her as she shakes her head angrily, "I wanted everything to be perfect for you this morning! I baked healthy muffins for you, and then I got here early, and I made coffee, and then I went for ice, and I forgot my room key on the table, and now you're here, and I didn't want you to see me on the floor; I wanted you to see me smiling inside in my new work outfit, and I think maybe I need to just go home now and start over tomorrow." She's managed to make it through this monologue without taking a single breath, and Xavier is quite impressed at her lung capacity.

There is one thing she said that stood out to him, "You baked for me?"

Biting her lip, she makes eye contact with him. "Mhm. Blueberry applesauce muffins."

His eyes light up, and his mouth forms a broad smile, which makes the corners of her mouth turn up too. "I love blueberry applesauce muffins."

With a sniffle, Meg wipes her nose on her sleeve, "You do?"

Nodding, he stands, holding out his hand to help her up. She hands him the ice bucket first, and then takes his hand as he pulls her up. Reluctantly releasing his hand, she brushes the back of her pants.