32: Extended Release

Minnie watches from her bench, impressed both at Harry's physique and ability to beat the shit out of the bag, but also with his patience in teaching Xavier. In fact, she's turned on at the sight of her man punching and kicking, his calves firm, his upper arms solid. No wonder he's so amazing in bed. Of all the workouts Minnie has ever tried, kickboxing has not been one of them, but now she rather wishes she'd learned so she could participate. Maybe she'll ask Harry to teach her.

For Xavier, the workout has been what he needed. Every time he comes into contact with the bag, it's his own face he's picturing. The anger he's felt has centered at his core, and it has become clear that Harry's words in the limo were accurate. The only person he can be angry with is himself. He's the one who fucked up by freaking out about Meg's son.

When he's fully winded and worn down, Xavier hugs the bag, exhausted. Next to him, Harry continues with his powerful hits and kicks. Damn. How did the old man have this much stamina?

==========

I catch Xavier watching me, and I give the bag two more kicks before I back away. "If you want to learn more, we can come back tomorrow. Or next week."

While I can see the teen warring with a snarky answer, I also know that he's considering it. With a single nod, he acquiesces, and I feel like I've won the lottery.

When we pass Ian on our way to the showers, the older man claps me on the shoulder, "If this actor-slash-musician thing doesn't work out for you, Styles, I'll gladly hire you as one of our instructors."

Rolling my eyes, I smile at him while inside my pride blossoms. Minnie sees my smile, and she knows. But it's okay because I can see that she's proud of me too. My pleasure at being complimented by these two people who mean so much to me, on top of Xavier's agreement that he wants to learn more, combine into one of the best feelings I've had in awhile.

After quick showers, the three of us are once more back in the limo, smelly gym clothes in a plastic bag provided by LA.KO on the floor. Xavier is more relaxed now, and when he asks for a tequila, I give him a small glass of it with a caution, "No more at the party, my friend. The publicity you get from being drunk at something like this can never be lived down. We will both stick to sparkling water when we get there."

The smile Minnie gives me in that moment is enough to light up a thousand planets. I am so honored to have made her happy. Pausing, I recall the way she'd seemed to be off her game earlier. Surely she's dealt with hundreds of crises in her career that were as dangerous as this one. Yet tonight she'd looked weary. Almost broken at the thought of having to figure out a solution for this client. Tilting my head, I try to send her a message with my eyes. Either she chooses to ignore me or she hasn't caught the meaning behind my expression.

By the time we arrive, the party is in full swing. This is the perfect way to enter a party, especially when you're the star of the movie. Everyone is thrilled to see you, and they all want to congratulate you. Of the three of us, I'm not sure who really paid attention to the movie at the premiere, but Xavier and I both receive our share of kudos.

As is her usual modus operandi, Minnie slinks away into a corner of the restaurant, nursing a small plate of crudités and a glass of wine. I spend about 45 minutes trying to make my way to her, but various cast and crew members stop me on the way as they congratulate me for my performance. Every time one person moves out of my way, I glimpse her sitting by herself, nursing her wine and watching Xavier. But then someone else pops in front of me before I've made it two feet closer.

Xavier is holding his own, and I'm relieved to see it. Most likely I don't deserve any credit for his current ability to smile and be charming since he has always had the power. But I'm going to pat myself on the back anyway. When we'd left the premiere, there was no way he could have come straight to the party. And yet here he is, chatting with everyone around him as though nothing is bothering him. He's a better actor than I thought.