17: Press Into Service

"I'm so glad to see you, girl," she ruffles Daisy's neck gently as they get into the car.

Instead of going to the park today, though, the two ladies head for the beach. It's harder for Daisy to walk there, but it's not like Minnie has much time with her today anyway. She's expected at the next interview around noon, and it's already 9:30.

"I know it's not our usual day, but I honestly couldn't wait all the way until Saturday to talk to you and give you the newest developments," Minnie tells her friend.

Daisy licks at Minnie's hand, so Minnie spills her guts, telling the dog all about her adventures with Harry in the previous few days. "And then I had to spend the whole rest of the day with no underwear! Every time I shifted or crossed my legs, I was reminded that I was naked under my skirt. Which just gave me a vivid memory of WHY I was in that condition."

Tilting her head to the side, Daisy gives Minnie a hard look, "Okay. So it was sexy. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

The pet turns to look out of the car window as they approach the beach. She's excited to walk on the sand because it makes her paws tingly. Unless the sand is hot. Then she just bounces from her front paw to her back paws as quickly as she can. Today, though, the weather is perfect, and Daisy walks alongside her favorite human to a bench near the water.

Yesterday after lunch, Minnie had stumbled back to Xavier's suite, relieved to find that X and Meg were out somewhere. Her legs were shaky after the mindblowing sex with Harry. When was she going to learn to stay away from him? Damn.

"I swear, Daisy. All it takes with Harry Edward Styles is a peek at that dimple or maybe his quirked eyebrow, and I'm dropping my panties! Which now he's keeping as trophies!" Minnie is indignant, but it's clear to Daisy that she's protesting way too much.

"And he KNOWS it made me crazy. Every time we got a break, he would purposely catch my eyes and then let them drift to below my waist, reminding us both what wasn't there!" The exasperation Minnie expresses seems faked, and Daisy jumps up on the bench with her, "It's not like I needed a prompt! I was so damn wet every time he looked at me. I'm surprised the back of my skirt wasn't stained by the time I got out of there."

Listening to Minnie, Daisy sighs, enjoying the strokes she's getting as a bonus this week. She can't tell time, but she knows it's been a lifetime since this kind human came to see her. And pet her. The people at the place she lived were okay enough. They weren't mean, but they don't rub her fur like this one does. And they never take her out for walks. To be under the sky with fresh air must be what heaven is like!

Daisy barks at a seagull getting too close.

"Then there was the whole flub with his ex. I know it shouldn't be a big deal. He explained to me that he doesn't think of her these days. But come on, Daisy," the dog looks over at Minnie when she hears her name, momentarily forgetting about the bird, "Harry is media-trained. Yet he looked like a guppy fish with his mouth opening and closing when the journalist asked the question. What if I'm just a poor replacement for the one that got away?" Minnie's sad voice causes Daisy to lick her face.

Laughing, Minnie pushes her away, standing up, "Great. Now I have to reapply my makeup before I go in. Come on. Let's get back to your place."

Knowing she can't dwell on the situation or else it will hurt her brain, Minnie pushes thoughts of Harry out of her head. Well, she attempts to anyway. Not since she was a 24-year-old just starting in public relations had she felt this obsessed with a guy. And look how that turned out. He was a HUGE movie star, now directing movies. Minnie's heart didn't ache so much at the hurt he'd inflicted by dumping her for a flamboyant actress. Since those days, he had left multiple women for other celebrities, each more vibrant – and younger – than the last.