23: Controlled Release

She's texting as we walk to the curb, my arm on her elbow steering her, but she balks when I gesture for her to get in.

"I want to go to a hotel, Harry," she says quite calmly and sincerely. "If your driver can't take me to one, I can get a cab."

Ouch. She's clearly still hurt, and her chilly demeanor is not related at all to the freezing New York February weather. If she would just give me an opportunity to explain, I know I could make it up to her.

I live for you. I long for you.

Expelling a deep breath, I turn her to face me, "Give me ten minutes, and then if you still want a hotel, I'll pay for the room." Watching her consider my offer is about the same amount of anxiety I had the first time I played Sign of the Times for Nick. I stand in front of her, my eyes pleading, and when she gives a quick nod, my heart rejoices.

Guiding her into the vehicle, I steer her to the backseat, away from our driver who is not someone I know, climbing in behind her. We've got no longer than 10 minutes to get to my place, so I need to do my best convincing before she realizes we've arrived.

I know I've got a long road ahead of me, though, when she turns her head away, watching the traffic out of the window, her eyes dead. She's weary. That bone-deep exhaustion that weighs you down as though you are carrying a ton of coal on your shoulders. Even though I know it can't all be because of me, I feel a lot of responsibility.

"Olivia," I start.....

===========

The knock at the door startles Meg who was just in the process of texting her parents to check on Titus. They hadn't been too thrilled about keeping him for the three days she would be gone, but she convinced them that the work trip was necessary (which it is), and they finally relented. Opening the door to find no one there, Meg leans out of the door, looking up and down the hallway. It's as empty as a generous man's pockets. She starts to close the door when the knocking comes again. Swinging the door open wide, she looks once more. As the knocking continues, she recognizes that it's from another door -- the one to the adjoining room.

"Meg?" Xavier's voice comes through the portal, and Meg relaxes, twisting the lock and swinging back the metal barrier to reveal his face on the other side.

"Hi," she blushes, shuffling her feet a bit.

"Hi," he responds, smiling at her. "Um, Olivia just texted. There was some mistake with her room, so she's going to stay in another hotel. She suggested we have dinner without her."

Meg doesn't know what to say. She's in an adjoining room with the man her parents would hate to see her with, and he's her boss no less. But she also feels a warmth spreading from her stomach to her limbs, reaching into her fingers and toes. A quiet dinner with Xavier where neither of them had to cook? Heaven.

Deciding to attempt a little flirtation, Meg saucily asks, "What'dya have in mind, sailor?" and winks.

A slow smile spreads across Xavier's face. "Wellllllll......I was wondering," he looks at his feet, then at the ceiling, "if maybe you wanted to order from room service and hang out watching movies tonight."

Her eyes widen, and he rushes to fill the silence, "Or we could go grab a slice somewhere. Or eat something fancy if you want. Or we don't have to spend time together. I mean, we've been together a lot lately, and I can see how you would be getting tired......"

Meg shushes him by placing her index finger over his lips then leaning forward to replace her fingertip with her own lips. Xavier responds in kind, but has to remind himself not to get too greedy. Meg is special. She doesn't need a man pawing her, but rather a gentle soul leading her. He presses his lips softly to hers, and when she steps back, he can't help that the corners of his mouth turn up.