Chapter 27

Aurora

The feeling of pain is unbearable. The feeling of losing someone you love is unbearable. The feeling of breaking your leg or arm is unbearable.

The feeling of finding out your best friend left you a letter the day she left earth is unbearable.

I hold it in my hand. I hold the letters in my hand, the last little piece of her. The last thing she had touched.

These paper aren't just a stupid piece of paper I'll read then forget about, no it holds many feelings, it holds a story about a beautiful, kind hearted, sassy, and energetic young girl. My best friend.

The girl next door to me who was fighting her own battles alone, who hid the scars and fake smiles. Who always spent time at my house because she was scared of her own. A girl, my Diana, who I could've helped If I knew sooner. 

These letters hold the story of Diana Lee Parker.

It was mailed to me about three days ago. By who? I honestly don't know. But once I opened the envelope I knew, the writing I recognized and I didn't have the courage to read it. I couldn't, it hurt to much but I knew I had too. Some day I'd have to, I chose today I would. I stand up and walk over to the door locking it. I sit down on my bed and grab the letters. My hands already shaking as I reach out to grab the first paper, letter.

I pick the letter up and begin reading.

Dear Rory,
  Hi my love, how are you? You might receive this letter but you may also not. If you have hello again, I love you. I want you to know this isn't your fault that I'm gone. I know you and I know you're going to blame yourself, please don't. You didn't know, no one but me and my parents knew. I couldn't bring you in the mix my love.
  December 9th, 2021 at exactly 9:25 pm I Diana Lee Parker will not be on this earth anymore. I will have taken my own life. As much as this breaks your heart to read I'm so sorry, but I need you to know why I did what I did.
January 19th 2011 was when it started. The abuse is what I mean. I was five, five fucking years old and I was being abused. It started with a few slaps here and there for every little thing I did wrong. But as I grew up it got worse.
I met you Rory when we were Six. You are the best thing in my life, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I remember the day we met. I walked to the park that day because I was scared to go home, but I knew I had to go home. As I was walking into the house your mother waved at me from next door. I smiled and waved back. Mrs. Lopez was a very nice and loving person, she became my second mom. I remember her inviting me and my family over that same day, that was the day my life changed, but same with you. I met my soulmate, you. Something I kept to myself about that day was after leaving your house my parents got into a fight and I ended up sleeping on a bench at the park, freezing cold. But I rather sleep there then in my own bed to avoid getting hurt.
I was homeschooled to help mom and dad at home but that was bullshit, they wanted to hide my scars and make me not talk. Once I found out you were also homeschooled I was okay with it. We started talking more, hung out more, and even had sleepovers. You were my best friend Rory, someone I always will love. Living or not I'm always with you.
At the age of nine I was beat so bad I thought I wasn't going to make it, I needed a hospital but knew I couldn't go. I couldn't leave the house they isolated me. I couldn't play outside or at the park anymore. I always lied when you asked how the park was, I was isolated like you Rory. I'm so sorry I lied I couldn't tell you the truth. It's not that I didn't trust you. It's just I didn't want you to be pulled into my messed up life, what if my parents would've hurt you? I would never forgive myself if you ever got hurt my love.

Tears were spilling out of my eyes as I read. She was going through a lot of hurt and I didn't even notice, I didn't see the signs. How could I not know. How- why couldn't she tell me..I could've helped her leave the house. I turn the letter around and continue reading it.