Ch. 45 - Platoon Mission (2)

█████████████

Iron grinned as he watched the soldiers' expression distort while grumbling on their way back inside the outpost dormitory.

"They don't even know that this is all for them..."

Iron clicked his tongue.

He was fully aware of the thoughts that were currently running inside the soldiers' heads. He had also served in the military back in his real world so he knew how annoying it was to train when you were expecting rest.

He wanted to give them as much rest as possible too but with the future that was clearly drawn in front of him, he couldn't just tell them to go ahead and rest so they could die on the battlefield later on.

There were a lot of things that he needed to do to save the Northeast so he needed to finish all of the work that he needed to do in the Winter Mountains and get promoted as quickly as possible. But for him to be able to do that, he needed to make sure that the men that served under him would become stronger before he left.

"Ha... Why did I even come to the Northeast?"

He had already felt regret while he was still studying at the academy. But for some reason, he felt even more regret now that he had become the outpost leader.

He wanted to let go of the Northeast and just let things go with the flow but if the Northeast failed to hold out, then he was sure that he would not be able to prevent the collapse of the entire continent. So, there was nothing else that he could do.

'It's because I don't have a choice.'

Iron smiled bitterly as he stared around the outpost.

No one would be happy if they received undeserved criticism from the people around them. However, Iron just decided to own it and enjoy their harsh criticism. Since he was going to be criticized and scolded anyway, he decided to just go all out and do it properly. Besides, after doing this, he felt like he finally realized what the officers felt when he served in the military back then.

"It's fun."

He laughed to himself as he imagined the changing expressions of the soldiers that he had fished as they trained and rolled around in front of him. They were already showing a variety of colorful expressions earlier that he wondered if he was also like that back then.

He giggled as he recalled the many changes in their expressions when he spoke about their training earlier. He was looking forward to the plenty of other expressions that they would show him during this short training period that he imposed upon them.

While Iron was busily thinking about how he would properly answer their criticism during his wait, the soldiers were all grinding their teeth and chewing out their outpost leader.