Chapter 1

'As if anyone would actually read this crap.' Bri said throwing down the morning paper.

She sat in a small New York coffee shop before she needed to head to work. It wasn't busy or anything extravagant but she started coming here when she was a kid so she kept the tradition.

'Bri, what are you complaining about now?' Tegan asked as she poured coffee for an elderly man in the corner.

'All the tabloids talk about is Tony Stark's breakup from Pepper Pots, he's a billionaire for goodness sake! As if he can't find a new woman with the snap of his fingers.' Bri said stirring her piping mug.

'Don't you think you should be a little nicer to your coworker?' Tegan teased.

Bri worked at S.H.I.E.L.D as the electronic secretary but didn't want anything to do with the beloved 'Iron Man'.

'He's never made an effort to talk to me therefore he isn't my coworker.' Bri said stubbornly.

Tegan laughed and returned behind the counter to serve the next customer. Bri De Mel and Tegan Donaldson had been best friends since they were eleven years old. They met when Tegan's family moved to town and Bri was a loner. Something about each others personalities drew them together.

'Agent De Mel?' Someone said causing Bri to look up from her angry fit.

She looked up and met the lovely blue eyes of Steve Rogers.

'Good to see you, Rogers. I'm no agent by the way.' She said smiling slightly.

The muscular man took a seat across from her and smiled wide. In Bri's eyes it was hard to believe that the Avengers could consist of someone as sweet and down to earth as Steve and someone as big headed as Tony.

'De Mel, anyone who works well with Fury needs to be an agent in my eyes.' He said smirking.

Bri rolled her eyes and called over to Tegan.

'Tee, can we get a coffee for Mr Rogers?'

Tegan looked up and met Steve's eyes. Her cheeks turned a deep scarlet before she grabbed a mug and poured him the caffeinated drink.

'It's on the house.' Tegan said placing it in front of him.

'No, it's alright. I'll pay for both of ours.' Steve said gesturing to Bri as well.

Bri sighed. Steve was great and all but there were times that he was to nice.

'Steve, Tegan doesn't give freebies out often so I advise you to take the offer.' Bri said before closing her laptop shut.

Steve sputtered for a moment before smiling at Tegan causing her to flush redder than before. Tegan and Bri were the opposite in appearance, Tegan had dirty blonde hair with piercing blue eyes as Bri had almost black, curly hair with matching dark eyes.

'See you at work, Rogers.' Bri said swinging her messenger bag over her shoulder.

'Hey De Mel, I meant to say good luck to you. Stark can be a handful but he'll eventually come around.'

Bri stopped at the door and looked at Steve with a quizzical look. She shrugged at Tegan before leaving the shop and hailed a cab before getting in. Tegan wiped down the table and continued making small talk with Steve until he needed to go to work as well.

'Good Morning, Miss De Mel.' The man at security said as Bri walked into the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters.

She waved hello to him and slumped down behind her desk. She loved her job but having to decode Hydra secrets all day got a little boring. Less than thirty minutes into the days work she was interrupted.

'De Mel, Fury want's a meeting with you.' Someone said.

She looked up and saw a young intern, she used to be one of them until Nick offered her a full time job. Getting up from her chair she made her way to the boss' office.

'De Mel-' Someone called after her.

'What do you want Rogers?' She asked in a bored tone.

'Your friend, Tegan's her name right?'

'Yes.'

'Can you tell me about her?' Steve asked nervously.

'She's twenty five, just like me. Her hometown in Buffalo, she's dating an idiot named Jack and she's allergic to pineapple.' Bri said sighing.

Steve stopped walking causing Bri to pause as well.

'Jack?' Steve whispered.

'Yeah, he's annoying as fu-' Bri began before Steve gave her a stern look.

This guy really hated swearing.

'She's been suspicious about him cheating for a while so if you help her figure out if he is, then you've probably got yourself a date.' Bri said smirking.

'A date? That's not what I was asking for.' Steve said blushing slightly.

'Sure Steve, I've got a meeting with the boss and I can't be late.' Bri said before walking off.

She knew for a fact that Steve liked Tegan and couldn't help but wish it would work out because of the fact that she hated Jack. Jack went to school with them and found joy in bullying Bri. Tegan insisted that he was just kidding but Bri held her grudge.