Chapter 12

'You can't just breakup with him based on what his ex said about him.' Tegan said as Bri explained the story to her a week later.

Tony had been gone working with the Avengers for the past week so Bri didn't have a chance to confront him.

'Well, I'm scared of getting hurt.' Bri said shyly.

'Bri, I think he really cares for you. No matter what you do I'll stand with you.' Tegan said smiling.

Bri felt her heart lighten a little but she still didn't feel well. She'd only had one other boyfriend in her life and he broke up with her so she wasn't exactly experienced in the breakup department.

'They get home today.' Tegan said snapping her out of her daze.

'Great.' Bri said with a fake smile.

After ten or so minutes the door to the shop swung open.

'Steve!'Tegan said jumping up and running into his arms.

'I'm so glad you're alright.' She said still hugging him.

They had a mushy moment that Bri ignored until the door opened again.

'Bri-' Tegan began.

She looked up and Tony stood at the door smiling at her. When she didn't get up immediately he walked over and pulled her into a tight hug.

'I missed you.' He whispered in her ear.

She nearly returned the sweet gesture when she remembered what she needed to do.

'I need to talk to you.' She said looking at her suddenly interesting shoes.

He gave her a concerned look before nodding and following her to the table. Tegan was filling Steve in on the side in a rushed whisper.

'Is everything alright?' Tony asked taking her hand.

'Y-No.' She said letting go of his hand slightly.

She felt tears threatening to fill her eyes. Her little amount of time with Tony had been some of her happiest in years and it hurt that she had to give it up. He gave her a concerned look before she elaborated.

'I need to break up with you.' She said in a whisper.

His grasp on her hand loosened until it was no longer there.

'Why?' He asked looking at her with his sad brown eyes.

'I-I can't have my heart broken.' She said wiping a stray tear before she grabbed her stuff and ran from the coffee shop.

Steve walked slowly up to Tony and patted his shoulder.

'Tough break Stark.'

Tony shrugged his hand of and left the shop after Bri.

'Why would I break your heart?' He called after her retreating figure.

She turned around and he caught sight of her tear stained face.

'I just know it's going to happen.' She said before turning around and getting into her car.

Tony stood in the street as people pushed past him. He would run after her but it felt like his heart had just been torn out. He didn't even feel this way when Pepper broke up with him. That's it, Pepper. Tony realized it was her fault and marched to his car despite the strange looks he was getting from people.

'Jarvis, please call Pepper and tell her to come over.' Tony said angrily once he reached his office.

He wasn't angry with Bri but he just wished she would stop listening to what people said about him and figure it out for herself. He threw one of his scraps of metal down in anger. Pepper needed to stop being like this and he knew she couldn't get away with it.

'Mr Stark, she says she's on the way.'

Tony realized that Jarvis would have heard whatever Pepper said to Bri.

'Jarvis can you replay the the conversation between Pepper and Bri to me?' He asked hastily.

Jarvis started rolling the tape and Tony began clenching and unclenching his fists.

'Damn you Pepper.' He said to himself.

Just then there was a ding saying that the elevator opened and Pepper walked out.