27

One thing was certain.

Jeongguk wasn't going to be able to get them free, without turning himself into a criminal.

Whatever he was going to do, meant needing to run and hide right after. He couldn't talk his way out of it. It doesn't matter he is the good guy.

He had to think of a plan, and fast. By tomorrow, reporters will flood the room and broadcast it. He has to prevent it from being worldwide news, but his head felt like exploding.

How is he going to do that?

He chewed on his nails anxiously, pacing back and fort in his apartment.

Pulling out his phone, he pressed on Seokjin's contact, praying that he was going to pick up.

"Hey, Jeongguk-ah!
How are you d─"

"I really need your help.." He quickly interrupted him, panicking to the fullest.

"And I feel terrible for asking you this, since you've already done so much for me. But I can't do this alone, I need help. I need your help, hyung."

"Never feel bad for asking me for help. What can I help you with, Jeonggukkie?"

Oh, the normal, everyday things. Just freeing two mythical creatures out of a corrupt company, turning ourselves into criminals along with it. Probably even fugitives, too─

"Uh, you see.." He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"Remember that secret I told you about in the cafe the other day, to which you swore you wouldn't tell another soul?"

A small laugh came from the other side of the line, making him whine out.
"Hyung! I'm being serious! Do you remember it?"

"Of course I remember it, it was one of the funniest things I've ever experienced.
But what does that have to do with whatever it is you need my help with?"

"What if I told you, I need help freeing two of those beautiful beings from my wicked company's hands?"

Silence.

"Have you been sleeping well lately, Jeongguk-ah? You need to take better
care of yourself, I'm honestly getting concerned. Back then, I thought you were just playing, but you sound really serious,
I─"

"Seokjin-hyung, please! I promise you, I'm not joking. Personally I have been doing well, but great friends of mine haven't. I need your help. I can prove to you that I'm telling the absolute truth, but it's really complicated and we have a deadline." Jeongguk was desperately trying to convince him, hearing him sigh.

"The things I'm willing to do for you..
I'll be over in thirty, how does that sound?"

"Yes! Yes, that sounds fantastic, thank you, thank you, thank you, please hurry!"

With that, the call ended. Jeongguk sat down, grabbing a piece of paper and a pen. He started to sketch out the company's building, the entrances and on the other side of the paper he wrote the most important things, trying to come up with a plan.

────🐚────

"Hyung!" The younger exclaimed, going in for a big hug. After, he pulled him inside, urging him to sit down.

"So, what exactly am I in for?" Seokjin breathed out, looking at the other expectantly.

"Okay, look. First of all, you were right. The company isn't legit, to say the least. He made me sign a contract and adapted things on it after, they bribed people, they are meddling in illegal business.." Jeongguk glanced Seokjin in his eyes, watching as they grew big.

"You have to quit working there, obviously! As soon as possible!" The elder almost yelled out in worry.

"I know! I tried─ the contract apparently lasts up to three years with the risk of getting extended if the company requires it. Or, that's what my boss said." He took a breath, pushing the paper in front of Seokjin on the table.

"To free my friends, I figured we have to break-in at night. There's no way we'll be able to get it done during the day, there are way too many people. We have to think of a plan and fast, since the deadline is tomorrow." He stated seriously, staring at the inked up paper.

"With 'friends' you mean.... mermaids?" Seokjin warily retorted, his eyebrows raised up.

"Mermen, actually. Their names are Taehyung and Jimin."

"Right.." Seokjin trailed off, emphasising the 'R', popping the 'T.'
"And with 'deadline' you mean..?"

"There will be reporters going live tomorrow, hyung. If we don't get it done before then, it'll be worldwide news. The company has managed to stop rumours from spreading, but we have to act quick." He answered, a pleading look on his features.

Seokjin leaned back with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"And you're sure you didn't accidentally take one pill too many or something?"

"Hyung!" Jeongguk shoved him playfully, "I promise! Like I said, I can prove to you that they're real. I'm not able to make this stuff up. You have to believe me."

The elder stared at the younger for a moment. The dead serious look on his face told him he indeed wasn't kidding, but god, was this hard to believe.

"If I go through with this.. I'll turn myself into an accomplice. I don't want to be on the run, Jeongguk. And I sure as hell don't want to end up in prison."

The younger looked down, his eyebrows scrunched up.

"I know. I─ I know. I shouldn't have called you, I'm sorry. But if something happens to them, I'll never forgive myself─" a sob left his mouth, his shoulders shaking once he started to cry.

Seokjin immediately reached for him, holding his shoulders. "Hey now, Jeongguk-ah, don't cry, alright? I'll help you. You mustn't feel bad, I know you don't want anything happening to me, either."

Jeongguk sat up straight, lifting his head up again. He sniffled, wiping his tears and tugging on his hair.

"I don't know what to do, hyung! It feels like it's us against the world, which isn't far from the truth. How are we supposed to do this?"

Seokjin rubbed his face, looking back down at the paper on the table.

"Let's think of a plan, alright? According to your words, it's now or never. Time is ticking, and we need every minute."