"Us mer-people, choose only once, one person to spend the rest of our lifetime with. That person is our mate. Once we give our first kiss away, it's sealed. We never go to someone else. That person becomes our entire world. That also means that everyone who is still single has never kissed before or done anything as such. Unless their other half has passed.. We take that first kiss very seriously. It's the most important decision of our life. It's one of the most salient rules in the merfolk. Once that first kiss is given away, there's no turning back. It's permanent. At that moment, you made up your mind."

Jeongguk remembers what Taehyung had told him the seventh time they met up very clearly. He had asked him about special things and rules about their world out of curiosity, but he never expected something like that. It stunned him in the most intriguing way.

Every single day, they met up in secret to talk to each other. They were getting closer with every word they exchanged, every glance and every smile.

They understood one another at a level they both felt like no one else ever had. Although they never said that out loud, it was on both of their minds.

The only thing Taehyung thought about, was Jeongguk. The human who saved his life and became his most cherished secret. He was so obsessed with his own thoughts, that he didn't even realise it had been days since he last spoke to Hoseok.

Jeongguk hadn't been doing much better. Taehyung was the only thing he could think about. The ethereal man took over every single other thought, no matter if he tried to distract himself. (He didn't, fantasising about him was the best occupation, anyway.) 

The bullying the silver tailed was inflicting on Taehyung only became worse as the days passed by, causing the younger to become genuinely afraid of him.

Every time he'd meet up with Jeongguk, however, he felt like his worries got taken away for just a short period of time. He'd smile a lot brighter, his laughs were a lot louder, and he could be whoever he wanted to be. Jeongguk didn't judge him. There were no facades. He is the happiest whenever he is around the other.

It was like they were supposed to meet, like it was all meant to happen. It feels like they have known each other for ages already, while in reality they only started meeting up a week ago.

Both of the boys' hearts would often skip a beat or flutter, unaware that they had that effect on the other.

Somehow, no matter the situation they were individually in, when they were together, everything was perfect in their eyes. The world just looked brighter. Better.

Which is wierd, since it's caused by someone you just met.

Taehyung got himself a new habit. He brought a gift for the human every time they'd meet up. Whether it would be a beautiful shell, or something rare that had sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

He doesn't know why he does it.

Perhaps he subconsciously is still trying to thank the human for saving his life. Or maybe, it's just to see the lit up happy expression on his face when he presents him the new gift. It could even be that there's another reason he isn't even aware of himself, yet. Whatever the reason might be, he just wants to shower the other in gifts.

Jeongguk doesn't question it, not wanting to be rude or anything. The merman has put in so much effort to bring him those beautiful and meaningful gifts specially for him, he values them dearly.
He keeps every little thing in his room, all of it now really screaming 'ocean vibes' in bold letters.

Today, they were planning on meeting up again. So Jeongguk decided to head out, trying to find a suitable and cute gift to give Taehyung in return.

Since he now has money he could actually spend, he plans on putting it to good use for someone who's really unique and dear to him.

He hummed while strolling towards the jewelry store. He figured that it'd be the most suitable, reckoning most things in there are waterproof.

He planned on buying him a pretty bracelet. Something that would remind the merman what kind of special friendship they both shared, no matter what might happen in the future. He would have a way to remember him forever.

One thing was for sure; whatever Jeongguk would buy, had to be as special as the merman is. Which is kind of impossible, since no kind of jewelry could ever compare to the other.

Finally reaching the store, he opened the door and began eyeing around.

He dismissed a girl that came up to him to help him, wanting to look around in peace first.

His brown orbs scanned all kinds of things. From diamond rings to necklaces, to all other kinds of expensive looking stuff.

Finally, the bracelets came in sight.

He grinned to himself before taking a closer look, debating what would look the best and what would make the other the happiest.

Picturing Taehyung vividly in his head, his eyes stopped on a specific bracelet that caught his eyes.

Just like the merman, it was very detailed. The silver strings looked like they were delicately braided into each other, a few small diamonds embedding them. In the middle, was a bigger, breathtaking blue moonstone that reminded him immediately of his tail. Blue was Taehyung's colour, after all.

Even the smaller diamonds had a hint of blue within them, giving the entire bracelet an overall mythical and mesmerising look as he still had the merman in the back of his mind while eyeing the piece.

Right under the moonstone were a few words engraved on a tiny silver plate;

ᵀʰᵉ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ⁱⁿ ˡⁱᶠᵉ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ʷʰᵉⁿ ʸᵒᵘ ˡᵉᵃˢᵗ ᵉˣᵖᵉᶜᵗ ᵗʰᵉᵐ

That did it for him. He called the girl who offered to help him earlier and pointed at his soon-to-be gift.

"I'd like to purchase this one." The girl smiled back and nodded, taking the box the piece was in and heading over to the register.

He didn't even care about the price. There was money enough anyway, all thanks to his new job.

He happily made his way back to his apartment with the petite black box, a blue ribbon on top of it to dot the I's and cross the T's.

"I hope you'll like it.." Jeongguk whispered to himself, already imagining Taehyung's happy giggles that make him feel warm inside.