10

A few days passed by.

Both Jeongguk and Taehyung were constantly reading each other's notes like they were addicts, in total secret.

They exchanged many more words, but the only thing Jeongguk finds unfortunate is that the merman hasn't given any information about himself. To this day, he still doesn't know the name of the beautiful creature he saved.

Taehyung however, is dying to tell the human more about himself but he can't. He really can't. That'd be another rule that he'd break, one of the many he already ignored.

Seokjin is still completely unaware of the things that have been happening recently, his best friend isn't telling him anything myth-creature related.

Jeongguk was currently spread out on the moist sand like a starfish, staring up at the night sky filled with stars. He listened to the calm waves, feeling as if it could rock him to sleep with a special lullaby. 

Closing his eyes, he inhaled. Once he couldn't keep his breath any longer, he exhaled with a breath which made him feel free. A breath that took all of his worries away.

What he didn't know, was that there were two pair of curious eyes staring at him from the surface, head slightly tilted.

Taehyung.

The merman had come hoping to find another note, only to his surprise finding the human who saved him laying on the beach, which was obviously even better.

But, noticing how he wasn't moving, worry began to creep up in him, making him uneasy. After all, Jeongguk saved his life. Does he need saving now, too?

Taehyung's eyes slowly grew wider and wider as time ticked by, worry growing bigger and bigger and consuming him since the human looked so.. dead.

Jeongguk however, was just peacefully spread out there, not worrying about anything at all. He enjoyed the peace the night brought him wholeheartedly.

But the innocent and caring merman thought otherwise.

So, seeing the human who became subconsciously so precious to him laying there looking like death engulfed him, he decided to see for himself if he really was or not. He prayed for the latter, heart beating widely in his chest.

He swam into deeper waters, only to splash water up in the air with his tail loudly, causing Jeongguk to sit upright immediately.

Taehyung sighed in relief seeing him stand up, only to sit down on the rock after. His feet dangled in the water, creating crinkles on the surface.

Realising that the human looked absolutely harmless and just as curious as Taehyung himself, he giggled when an idea popped up.

He dashed under water and hid himself the best he could, before mischievously swimming towards the human.

The almost black looking water because of the night sky helped Taehyung hide, whilst swimming closer and closer.

The water was really shallow. If the daylight shone apon it, you could easily spot Taehyung. But right now, it looked like no one was there, except for the human.

Jeongguk softly shook his head, knowing he was waiting to see something that wasn't there.

A chuckle erupted from him when his feet felt ticklish. Knowing that it was seaweed, he bended down to scratch the bottom of his foot, only to freeze mid-action.

His face paled drastically, at the sight of two eyes and a faint face structure stare right back up at him in the most eerily way possible. His heart had already dropped, probably never getting back in its original position ever again.

"Ouch!" Jeongguk yelped, landing in an uncomfortable position after falling backwards off the rock.

"Are you alright?!"

His breath got caught in his throat. The most beautiful voice he ever heard just spoke up, somewhere from behind the other side of the rock.

"Great, now I'm hearing things. I hit my head too hard." Jeongguk said out loud, to no one in particular.

Definitely not expecting an answer, he flinched when he heard a very soft, yet a rather deep chuckle.

Letting himself fall backwards on the sand, he mumbled,
"Mhmh, there's no saving me now, I'm already too far gone."

Another, but this time louder chuckle came from the water.

"You're not going crazy, silly!"

Jeongguk shot up and stared at the depths. He loves his imagination dearly, but he knows he could never come up with this.

His mouth opened and closed like a goppyfish, eyes solely trained in front of him.

Taehyung felt his nerves gnawing at him. He slowly broke the waters' surface, exposing himself to the human who saved his life.

Jeongguk was sure his lungs needed oxygen, but he couldn't function anymore and stopped breathing for a few seconds completely.

Because at that moment, he was looking straight into an equally curious pair of eyes, half a human popping up. 

The stars reflected on the merman's blue hair, making the colour visible.

Now it hit him.

"You're.. You came back.." Jeongguk breathed out in surprise, sitting upright.

The merman just curiously stared at him, not sure how to respond to that.

"You're the one I saved.." Jeongguk concluded, mouth agape.

Taehyung hummed, a giggle following right after.

Soon enough, the merman just couldn't contain his excitement anymore and bursted out giggling like a maniac, a smile so bright it'd hurt your eyes.

A subconscious smile crept up on Jeongguk's face as he watched the merman. His heart fluttered. He looked
magical underneath the illuminating moonlight.

"My name is Taehyung.." The blue tailed said after a while, calming down. He was utrerly happy he finally told him something about himself.

"And I indeed am the merman you saved. I haven't really thanked you yet, so─"

Taehyung paused for a second, staring in the brown orbs from the mesmerising human in front of him.

"Thank you."