25

Taehyung was lifelessly staring into the dark depths. Time has never felt this precious to him.

Is this really happening?

Why did he have to be so dumb and let his curiosity drag him away? This was all his fault.

That's how he sees it, and that's how it is.

It was almost midnight. Within thirty minutes, he'll be dead.

His mind wandered off to all the things that are so important to him, rethinking how he managed to end up here.

All because of his insatiable urge to go where he wasn't allowed. To know more about the human, who wrote those notes.

He didn't have to write them back, either.
But he did so, anyway.

He has no idea why. It's like the human pulled him in. It was the feeling he got whenever he read those notes. The feeling only strengthened once he got to see the human for the first time, after he got saved by him.

And now that he knows him, he never wants to lose him.

Yet, here he was. Now twenty minutes away from his death.

Away from everyone.
Away from Jeongguk.

"J-Jeonggukkie.." The blue haired male began trembling again, his side fins tucked tightly to his sides due to fear.

That's when it hit him.

They never cancelled their meeting for tonight.

But would he really go ahead and perform the same acts again, that caused him to end up in his current position? Now it's even more dangerous, the net-incident from the morning flashing back through his mind.

Eventually he furrowed his brows, slowly detaching himself from the corner of the cave.

He reckoned since he was going to die anyway, why would he refrain himself from meeting the person who has brought him so much joy, for the very last time in his life?

He peeled the seaweed off from his tail, letting it sink down. He noticed that his wounds hurt less than before. It was still very sensitive, but he had to see Jeongguk for the very last time.

He just had to.

Looking around to make sure that no one was following him, he started to swim the quickest he could possibly go.

Suddenly all of the things he was doing were so meaningful, no matter that they were the basics.

Swimming,

Breathing,

Blinking,

Existing.

Since he now realised more than ever that he was going to die, he knew this was the last time he was going to be doing those things.

Everything seemed so unreal.

Nothing was stopping him anymore.

In all this time he has known the human, he realised that Jeongguk made him feel things no one else has ever managed to make him feel.

Now that he realises it, Jeongguk is going to be the person he is going to miss the most.

He wonders if that's what liking someone feels like.

He never experienced such a feeling before. He wasn't even allowed to. Not with a guy, that is.

Perhaps his gut feeling told him there possibly could bloom more than friendship between the two of them, but he subconsciously pushed those thoughts away.

There was no chance the human would like him back. He knew Jeongguk wouldn't be happy to get stuck with him for the rest of his life.

Yet.. a part of him craved to press his lips against Jeongguk's.

A decision that makes it permanent.

The most important one in his life.

Shaking his head causing his hair to float in front of his eyes, Taehyung carefully peeked his head out of the water once he arrived at his destination.

No one.

It was dead silent.

He sighed, pushed himself on the soft sand, exposing himself fully.

Now he was just going to wait for him to come.

He fiddled with his side fin anxiously, he nibbled on his lower lip and peeled of some skin which caused it to bleed a little.

Out of nowhere, a hand clasped firmly onto his mouth, preventing him from making any sounds.

His eyes grew big in horror.

The individual pulled him back harshly to prevent him from moving, another person suddenly coming into view.

He crouched down and his stare burned, a smirk on the unknown human's lips. He tilted his head slightly to the side, gazing over the merman's body.

Without another word, the man pulled something out of his pocket. After fumbling with it, he turned it around to show it to Taehyung who stiffened at what he saw.

"We know you understand us, bud. You don't have to say anything, just listen. You know him, right?"

Taehyung stared at Jeongguk who was oddly displayed on the rectangular thing the man was holding onto.

He didn't respond.

"We know you do. We found his DNA on— irrelevant. The thing is, we have him captured, locked up."

Taehyung was held tightly, his skin surely going to bruise at the grip the other behind him was holding him in place with. The only thing he could do, was listen to what this human had to say with wide eyes.

Adrenaline began coursing through his veins at the information they just gave him.

They have his Jeonggukkie?

"Would you like to save him?" The man asked, a bigger smirk dancing on his lips.

Taehyung tried to nod hastily.

"Good. If you come with us, we'll release Jeongguk." Worries roamed through his head at the speed of light.

His head shot down to look at his arm, when he felt a painful sting. A thing was jabbed into his arm, injecting something.

He blacked out within seconds, unknowingly going through the exact same fate as a certain silver tailed.

He hadn't understood anything that just happened. But he knew one thing; Jeongguk was involved. And he'd do anything for him.

"Tsk, he's so easy to fool." One man scoffed, lifting up the body of the merman.

"Damn right he is. So naive. Oh well, at least our boss is going to be happy with us."

They covered his tail with towels and threw him in the back of their van, causing him to even unconsciously groan out in pain.

After that, they drove away as quickly as they could, which left the mer-society waiting in avail.