26

Waking up, Jeongguk yawned tiredly. Yesterday, he had waited for Taehyung for hours. Unfortunately, he hadn't shown up.

He expected it, figuring Taehyung must be traumatised after what he has been through.

An hour later, Jeongguk made himself ready to show up at the company since his boss requested him to. He had told him there was going to be a meeting between him and his co-workers, as they apparently have something important to discuss.

────🐚────

Thanking the driver, Jeongguk handed the money over and turned his heels towards the company's entrance.

Walking through the hallway, he expected to be greeted by the overly friendly receptionist, but surprisingly she wasn't there.

Shrugging it off, he strolled towards the elevator but shouted out in surprise when he was pulled aside in a room.

"You scared me, you idiot!" Jeongguk cursed under his breath, glaring at Namjoon with a hand on his chest.

"Wait, why are we here? You have access to this room?" The younger asked, eyeing Taehyung's photos on the wall.

"We were waiting for you. Apparently, our boss has to show us something important."

Rolling his eyes at that which caused the elder to chuckle, he following him, being led through another door and entering another room.

"Ah, there you guys are." The one and only Bang Si-hyuk said, putting the two boys next to Yoongi and Min-ho.

Jeongguk saw that there was an enormous, red silk curtain covering something. In his opinion, the entire room looked like a showroom.

Raising up his brow, he waited for what his boss was going to say, tapping his foot on the floor impatiently.

His face just made his blood boil.

"So, I've asked you guys to come here today because we accomplished something big." His boss began, pacing back and fort making all of them slightly dizzy.

"Can you stop moving around for a second? What did you—"

Jeongguk got interrupted when his boss jogged over towards the red curtain. He pressed a button and slowly, something else came into view.

A tank?

It looked like a ginormous aquarium. He chuckled, shaking his head, trying to think of anything big this company may have accomplished.

The males just watched, seeing their boss press another button. The red curtains now moved away entirely, exposing the tank completely. It was still dark, they couldn't see anything yet.

"This may just surprise you guys.." Bang Si-hyuk began, "Try not to freak out, okay? Yes, this is real. I couldn't believe it either at first."

Now, Jeongguk slowly began getting nervous. His gut twisted, suddenly his hatred towards his boss dissipated and got replaced by another feeling.

Once again watching as another button got pressed on, things took a turn for the worst in just a matter of seconds.

The light flickered before turning on, giving everyone a clear view of what was inside of the tank.

All of them gasped, except for Jeongguk.

All of them ran towards the tank, except for Jeongguk.

Everyone began screaming in excitement, except for the youngest.

Everyone began laughing, except for him, who only had tears in his eyes ready to spill.

This company was capable of doing so much more than he imagined. He shouldn't have underestimated them.

This company was cruel. Absolutely wicked.

Jeongguk doesn't care about how much money he recieves. He stopped worrying about that a long time ago.

He'd give it all away, if it meant he could forget the sight in front of him and turn back time so it would've never happened. 

Taking soft and slow steps forward, he swallowed hard, trying to force his tears away.

He pushed himself in between the others and he slowly put his hand on the cold glass, eyeing both of the mermen he adores so dearly.

Taehyung and Jimin.

Both of them stared right back at him with giant orbs.

Jeongguk couldn't do anything, he was powerless. He could only stand and watch, wanting to scream and damn the entire company straight to hell.

"Holy shit! How did you—"

Their boss chuckled, breaking Jeongguk's attention away from his thoughts.

His gaze lingered over the two mermen before he slowly looked up at his boss who simply glared daggers at him.

Suddenly, he had a change of facial expressions and smiled instead, getting rid of the glare he was sending the youngest quickly. He spoke up.

"It's crazy, absolutely mindblowing indeed! I will give you guys the information later. For now, go home and prepare yourselves. Tomorrow is going to he intense. We'll have reporters coming over. They'll be live. Wear something nice, tomorrow we're going to get filthily rich!"

They all laughed, walking out of the room.
Everyone, except for the youngest.

He turned his head, walking back towards the mermen in the tank who stared desperately at him.

Jeongguk knew he had to get them out of there. But how the hell is he supposed to manage to do that? There's no way that even if he managed to get them out of the tank, he'd be able to walk out without catching the attention of literally everyone.

It's not exactly easy to drag two people out of the company by their arms, into a cab with giant, mesmerising tails following close behind.

Then, what was he supposed to do? There are CCTV's everywhere. They'll be aware that he did it. He'll have to face all of them in court.

Or, he could pack his things and run─ making him a fugitive forever. He wouldn't be able to see the mermen anymore either when that happens.

He placed his hand on the glass again, his facial expressions showing them that he was there for them the best he could. He'd do anything to try and get them free.

The mermen weren't able to get closer. They were chained up in the water, preventing them from moving around.

Jeongguk had to shut his eyes close and only hissed, when Taehyung desperately tried to get closer to him, resulting in one of his fins getting all further wrapped around and caught between the chain, about to risk getting torn of if he doesn't stop moving soon.

Opening his mouth, Jeongguk mouthed, "I'll get you guys out of here. I promise."