29

The platform was slim, which left Taehyung holding himself upright right above of the other merman.

He grinned awkwardly while the other death glared, shooting daggers at him.

"Um.. Hi th─" Taehyung tried.

"Shut the fuck up." Jimin hissed quietly.

"O─ okay─"

"We're almost at the exit! Hang on in there guys!" Jeongguk fortunately interrupted the moment, causing both of them to crane their necks to look ahead.

Jeongguk knew the CCTV would capture them red handed.

He stopped pulling the mermen forward for a moment, speeding towards the glass door to peek for Seokjin's van.

But, to his horror, he wasn't there.

"Seokjin-hyung! Where are you?!" He whisper-yelled through his earpiece.

"I told you already, they got suspicious and went to check on me! I pulled up in front of the building, instead! But you have to hurry, I don't want any attention on me!"

Jeongguk's eyes widened, "You must've tried to contact me while I was in the water! I didn't know that! Shit!"

He dashed back towards the mermen, whom looked up at him with worried faces. That was, until their gazes met one another and Jimin would simply glare and Taehyung would awkwardly grin.

Fortunately for the sake of their act, Jeongguk was too busy rolling them out of there and talking wierdly to himself (?) to notice.

The human panted, reaching the reception desk again. He fished his keycard back out of his pocket, now nearing the main entrance.

Pressing it against the scanner, he waited anxiously, sighing out in relief once it beeped and turned green.

Once he opened the door and pulled the mermen after him outside, taking a big  deep breath immediately after. The cold, fresh air entered his lungs, getting the suffocated feeling to slowly vanish.

"Hyung, where are you located?! I can't see you, and I can't use my flash!" Jeongguk rambled, frantically looking around with the company's building thirty metres behind them.

"Around the right corner, behind the hedge! Just keep walking, you can't miss it!"

Jeongguk started speed-walking, the wheels of the hand truck now making a lot more noise as it got pulled after him.

At this point, he didn't care; they were pretty much doomed anyway, and they had to get out of there now. The sun would start to rise any minute now, replacing the darkness of the night.

"Thank god!" Jeongguk exhaled, pulling up in front of the van. Seokjin hastily stepped out, rushing to open the door.

Jeongguk already bent down to put his arm underneath Taehyung's tail and upper body, gently putting him in the back of the truck and moving on to do the same for Jimin.

"Holy fucking shit." Seokjin muttered, eyes as wide as bowling balls.

"You really weren't on the influence of any substances. What the fuck.." He went on, mouth agape.

"Don't worry, you can trust him." Jeongguk reassured the mermen who looked at the male next to him in judgement. Closing the door, he looked back at him.

"You're only realising that now?! Have you seriously been doubting me all this time, still?! Why'd you agree to help me, then?" He hissed back, astonished.

"Because! You're like my little brother and of course I'd help you! I just─ you know what, we'll talk about that later, we have to go!" Seokjin realised, pulling the younger to the front of the van and both of them getting in quickly.

He didn't even bother putting on his seatbelt. Once his foot stomped down on the gas pedal, they were on their way.

To where?

That, they didn't think about yet. Their plan wasn't that thought-through yet.

"Where do I go to?!" Seokjin yelled, panickedly taking a few turns, driving away as far as he could.

"I don't know?! The beach? I didn't think we'd make it this far!"

Taehyung's eyes widened drastically at that. He completely forgot.

He was supposed to be dead already.

He can't go back.

Turning his head, he stared at Jeongguk's back. "J─Jeonggukkie.. I can't go back there. Please don't make me go back there!" He trembled, not wanting to depart from the human's side anymore. Especially not reckoning what'd happen to him if he did.

Jeongguk shot his head towards the back of the van, looking through the clear thin wall that separated them from the back.

"What do you mean, Tae? Don't you want to go back?"

Did he? Taehyung doesn't know. Even if he could, it still felt wrong. It didn't feel like home anymore after all that happened.

"I can't! I was supposed to be dead already!" He exclaimed, wondering how his eyes were able to produce water again.

"Oh, Tae.." Jeongguk whispered, biting on his lip in worry. "Alright, we'll go to my place instead, then. How about you, Jimin?"

The mentioned glanced at Jeongguk, averting his gaze from smirking at Taehyung.

But, the question left him wondering.

What about him?

If the council ever finds out, he'd be dead as well. Sure, he might be a decent liar, but the truth will reveal itself one way or another. Maybe not directly, but after a while, it will.

So, he answered, also trying to provoke a certain male.

"I.. I want to stay with you, Jeongguk. May I?"

Taehyung shot his head towards Jimin, a feeling he couldn't put his name on irking inside him.

"Of course you may, Minnie. But I only have a bathtub.. fuck, how are we going to do this?" At this point, Jeongguk was talking to himself. He pinched the bridge of his nose, rubbing his face tiredly after the exhausting night.

"We'll figure that out later, Jeongguk-ah. For now, we'll go back to your place to think thoroughly of what we're going to do next, alright? If what you said is true, it won't take longer than a few hours before the company notices they're gone. All hell will break loose by then. We need a new plan as soon as possible."

The younger nodded, staring back outside.

Just what exactly have they gotten themselves into?