Hoseok quietly swam after his best friend, watching as Taehyung swam further and further away, their world getting more and more behind.

They hadn't exited it yet, but Hoseok had his anxiety up to the max already. The feeling that he was about to do something forbidden terrified him.

After a little while, he stopped. He watched the blue tail of Taehyung fading in the distance, swimming through the long cave which is the exit from their world.

Biting the inside of his cheek, all kinds of emotions ran through him, sickening him. 

"So this is what you've been up to behind my back, huh?" He scoffed.
"Is there something else that I don't know, but should?"

The red tailed sighed, his eyes not leaving the spot he saw his best friend last.

"I can't believe you decided to keep this from me. So much for having no secrets between us.." He rolled his eyes, getting a little worked up.

Hoseok turned around and swam back home, the feeling of leaving his best friend behind never left him.

The only thought that comforted him a little, was that this isn't the first time anyway. But then again, that same thought also made him feel sicker than he already did.

Taehyung, on the other hand, happily swam towards the beach in the hope that he would find another note somewhere, completely oblivious to a pair of eyes that had been following him. A big smile was plastered on his face, already imagining what could be the new message and highlight of his day.

After a little while, his eyes sparkled when he saw a small, white paper drift away.

He quickly reached for it and giggled while he began to read.

'It feels like I'm living in a dream. I feel so special right now, since I saw you with my own eyes and you even thanked me with that beautiful shell. ̶I̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶f̶─'

Taehyung pouted seeing the last sentence scribbled away, since the paper wasn't big enough. He could only wish for the human to just write him a whole paragraph to read.

He got all happy inside at the human's words. He had thought it was a beautiful shell and it made him feel special.

He looked down at the new shell he took with him in his other hand, the smile never leaving his face.

He hopes that he would like this shell, too. 

He shoved the shell next to the rock in the sand with a giggle. After a few more seconds of procrastinating, he began swimming back to his world, knowing he couldn't raise any suspicion.

Hoseok gave Taehyung a small, innocent smile when he swam towards him.

Pretending like he had no clue on what Taehyung was doing, he mumbled,
"I don't like it when we fight.. I'm sorry."

Taehyung smiled widely and engulfed his best friend in a bone crushing hug. It was a habit. He loves to hug people.

"It's alright, Hobi! It wasn't that bad either. I'm sorry, too."

Hoseok pat Taehyung's back and retracted, staring in his eyes.

Nothing.

No glimpse of the fact that he was hiding something gigantic, he looked as innocent as ever.

"Where were you, Taehyung?" Hoseok tried his very best to keep up his facade, not wanting to let the blue haired know that he knows what he's been up to.

"Oh, I needed some alone time.. Figured some stuff out. You know, the usual."

An aching pain formed in Hoseok's chest. There was literally no sign that Taehyung was lying. If he hadn't known the truth, he would actually believe his words. And for someone who is normally terrible at doing such a thing, Taehyung for once was doing this more than perfectly.

But Hoseok now knows better than that.

Hoseok clicked his tongue in annoyance because of the other's words, trying his best to compose himself before he would burst.

No, he wasn't mad at Taehyung. He was scared. Scared that something would happen to him, that maybe one day, he wouldn't return.

Suddenly, his eyes widened in realisation. He remembered the day that he had to wrap seaweed around Taehyung's tail to stop it from bleeding.

Something definitely happened while he was gone.

But what?

He hasn't come into any contact with the humans, right?

Questions began raging through the red haired male's head, the worry engulfing him whole. But he had to keep his mouth shut, for now.

For now, he figured that it would be better to pretend as if he doesn't know anything. Perhaps, deep down, he still hopes that the other will tell him sometime soon.

Encouraging himself, he flashed another smile at Taehyung who was innocently playing with his long side fin. 

────🐚────

'I really like to read your notes! You seem so nice, I wish I knew more people like you.'

Jeongguk chuckled, re-reading the shell he found today for the thirteenth time.

Carefully putting it next to the other shell he got, he beamed in content, folding his arms over each other and then resting his head on them.

He stared at the shiny objects in front of him, his mind clouded with the specific, ethereal male. He knew nothing about him, not even his name.

Yet, all he could do was picture what he looked like over and over again. He didn't even have the chance to admire the merman fully. He didn't have time to look at the most beautiful details. All he thought about back then was saving him as fast as possible.

His new job kept on rolling. Even though he loved to do what he did, he couldn't help but start to question some certain things. The company began to ask him to do things even he knew wasn't as professional as they claimed it was.

After Jeongguk sent that piece of coral to the lab some days ago, he knew that something about it just didn't feel right. After he did some research, he learned that coral dies when you cut a piece off.

But that wasn't the only time the company began to ask for things which resulted in organisms dying. Jeongguk was sure that some things the company was doing, were illegal.

Which shouldn't be; after all, the company has its needed certifications, and some research-declarations were even shown on the news.

The question is, if the company is getting more and more popular, why would it decide to do something illegal? Inspectors come by every month to see how the company is doing, but no one ever finds something that is illicit.

Either the company is hiding something really well, or they really aren't doing anything wrong, which means Jeongguk is, which is doubtful.

Whatever it is, Jeongguk will stay cautious for the time being. He isn't going to give up on this job that soon. He is able to pay his rent easily, he is able to buy the most delicious food whenever he craves it, and he still has a lot of money left for other things to spend on. If he continues like this, he'll even be able to buy a whole new house.

He doesn't even wonder why the company is paying him this much. He knows that he isn't doing anything really spectacular, but he doesn't question it.

To summarise it, Jeongguk is getting blinded by the money.

Unfortunately, he doesn't realise that himself yet.