11

Jeongguk was at loss for words, he had no idea what to say. Smiling, he stammered, "Yeah, no problem! I couldn't just leave you there, you know.. In that fishnet.."

The human scratched the back of his head, cursing at himself for stuttering and for being so awkward.

"Fishnets.." Taehyung mumbled to himself, mentally taking notes. So that's the name of the things he needs to avoid. He smiled even wider. "Ah, so that's what they're called.." Jeongguk just stared.

"A-anyways, I have to go. It was nice meeting you, for r-real this time.." Taehyung stuttered, fiddling with his fin shyly under water.

Jeongguk's eyes widened, "But─"

"I can't stay, I've been gone for far too long now. M-maybe I can.. You know.. Come back another time?" Taehyung wondered, afraid of getting rejected.

Jeongguk smiled widely. "Yeah, absolutely! I'd love to talk to you again."

This made the blue tailed merman giggle, a small blush forming on his cheeks. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow night, then!"

"See you tomorrow.." The human whispered, watching Taehyung disappear back under water.

────🐚────

"Taehyung-ah! Where have you been?!" Hoseok nearly rolled his eyes at his own words.

As if he didn't know.

"Sorry I'm back so late! I─ I was watching the seahorses! Yeah─ they're so cute!" Lying definitely wasn't Taehyung's strong suit.

Hoseok's blood was boiling. He's his best friend for god's sake, Taehyung should be able to trust him and tell him everything! Since when are there so many lies between them?

The red tailed stared at the other for a second or two, watching as he uncomfortably shifted and nervously played with his fin.

He knows Taehyung is lying anyway, because he was watching the seahorses, and the blue tailed wasn't there.

Hoseok sighed, "Ah, I see. They're cute, indeed. Next time try not to be so late."

He, himself, had been watching the seahorses. So Taehyung's second lie made him sick to his core.

"Alright, Hobi-hyung!" The innocent smile Taehyung returned made him feel worse. Conflicted. Angry. But sad and disappointed, too.

Another sigh left Hoseok's mouth and he just turned around and swam away, without another word.

After all, what was there to say if Taehyung didn't trust him anyway?

────🐚────

The next day, the human stood impatiently waiting, feet sucked up by the moist sand and the water wetting them.

He knew the merman could be there any minute now. Or, on the contrary─ maybe he forgot, or changed his mind and wasn't planning on showing up.

But that didn't stop Jeongguk from waiting, his entire being sparked with hope and excitement.

After a few more minutes he groaned, plopping down. He started to collect the sand in his hand, raising his limb and opening his palm slightly to let it slip back out. A grin tugged at his lips as he watched the sand build up underneath his fingers, a small tower the result of his impatience.

"What are you doing?"

Jeongguk flinched visibly when he heard the voice coming from across him, the tower knocked down.