Sighing, Taehyung stared at the notes in front of him. Ever since the human saved him, he couldn't seem to get him out of his mind, no matter how hard he tried. (He didn't.)

He figured he needed to give him something. After all, the human male had saved his life. He couldn't be more thankful. Apart from that, it'd give him the excuse to go back and risk seeing him again. He wanted to. His curiosity was killing him.

There was just one tiny problem. He knew nothing about the human. The only thing he knows is his name, simply because he wrote it on the very first note.

"Notes.." Taehyung whispered, tapping his chin.

"Of course! Notes!" The blue tailed beamed, searching the cave. His eyes fell on a very shiny, white shell.

Smiling to himself, he grabbed it and began engraving it with one of his sharp spines from his side fin.

'Thank you for saving me, Jeongguk.'

Nodding to himself, he proudly held it to his chest while making his way over towards the place he had last seen him.

Being extra careful this time since he didn't want to get trapped in such a painful thing ever again, he hid behind the rock and looked back at the shell in his hand.

Shyly, he made sure that no human saw him before he shoved the shell on the soft sand, so it was laying next to the big rock.

But he hesitated. Would the human know it's from him? What if he wouldn't?

Taehyung worried that the human forgot about him. Even though that would be impossible, he couldn't help but overthink the whole situation with his innocent mind.

What if he wouldn't see the shell? What if someone else finds it instead?

Taehyung bit his lip because of the heavy feeling in his stomach.

Slowly, he looked down at his tail.

"No, Taehyung. Don't be so stupid, you can't give him something like that." He whispered to himself, since he knew he mustn't get in any contact with humans.

Giggling, he shook his head.

It was already too late for that, anyway.

He traced his tail with his index finger and stopped when he noticed that one of his scales was a bit loose.

Biting his lip, he pressed his eyes shut for the pain when he pulled the scale out.

Hissing, he looked back at the shell. He put the blue, shiny scale in it, feeling happier than ever as he already imagined the human's reaction once he'd find it.

With that, Taehyung happily swam back, planning on making up with his best friend.

────🐚────

Silently staring ahead of him at particularly nothing, Jeongguk had his eyes wide, still trying to process what happened yesterday.

"I'm going crazy." He said in a monotone voice, his hand brushing through his hair and tugging on it a few times.

Shaking his head, he pulled his phone out of his pocket and searched for Seokjin's contact. His finger was about to press the call button, but he stopped.

"No.. he would think I'm delusional. What am I supposed to tell him, anyway? No one should get to know about this." After realising it himself out loud, he put his phone away with a deep sigh.

He was going nuts. Thousand questions were running through his head, all revolving the being he saw.

He started to doubt himself. There was no one who could confirm it. He just didn't believe his eyes and mind no matter how hard he tried.

He groaned, standing up and soon enough racing back to the beach.

Once he arrived, he climbed on top of the rock and looked down.

He didn't know what he was there for. To see the creature again? There wasn't even a single trace from what happened mere hours ago.

His eyes widened slightly when he saw the fishnet a little further away, washed up shore.

Jumping off the rock, he walked towards the fishnet and squatted down to inspect it.

It was just a grey -slightly green from algae- boring, everyday fishnet. His eyes glanced at the bottom half of it, now noticing the rips in it and crimson on it, staining the grey.

Jeongguk pinched his nosebridge, slowly beginning to believe it actually happened.

"Excuse me, sir, but we need you to move away from that."

When he turned around slightly taken off guard, he was met with two police officers.

Glancing back at the fishnet, he did what the officers asked. "Is there something wrong, sir?"

Jeongguk raised his brow seeing the two men glance at each other, before one of them cleared his throat and spoke up. "Ah, well, it's just police business. We can't share it with the locals."

He watched as the two men rolled up the fishnet, the plastic gloves they were wearing prevented any dirt to touch their hands and their own DNA from getting on it.

Jeongguk gave a slight bow back when the two officers did. He could only stand and watch as they walked away with the fishnet shortly after.

Staring at the blue uniforms they were wearing as they disappeared in the distance, he slowly turned around wanting to go back home, when his eyes fell onto something shiny next to the rock.

Curiously, he bended down and used his hands to scoop the shiny thing out of the wet sand.

Using the seawater to rinse the what-appeared-to-be shell, his eyes began to glimmer since he noticed how beautiful it actually is. It wasn't anything like the normal, average shells you'd find on the beach, this one was.. special. Really special.

Deciding to keep it, Jeongguk securely held it in his hands while walking back home.

He opened the front door and stepped in, kicking his shoes from his feet smoothly -at least that was his plan- but twisted his ankle and landed on the floor instead.

The precious shell he was holding tumbled out of his hands, right down to the floor. His eyes scrunched shut, not due to the pain, but the realisation that his find might be shattered to a thousand pieces.

After a second or two, he slowly lifted his gaze. Sighing out a deep breath of relief seeing it wasn't broken, he picked it back up, mumbling profanities at himself.

Putting his legs in front of him, he pulled his sock off and slowly tried message the pain away in his foot, only to end up staring at something a few centimeters next to it.

There was a very shiny, small, but very beautiful fish scale-looking-like thing on the floor. Picking it up, he noticed how soft it was, a little wet, and somehow slippery. It was a gorgeous blue color, a lot of details, and it actually reminded him of─

Jeongguk's eyes widened for the hundredth time, as he realized that this scale was looking exactly like the scales on the tail of the creature he helped.

Now this scale being one of the most meaningful things in his life, he quickly looked back at the shell, now noticing letters.

There, on that shell, was written something in tiny.

'Thank you for saving me, Jeongguk.'

And that made him realise,

"This is actually real.." He concludes out loud, still sitting on the cold floor and smiling like an idiot at the things in his hands.