17

"Wait, where did Taehyung go?" Jeongguk's eyes widened, realising how long he has been talking to Jimin without paying any attention to the other merman.

Jimin smirked, but quickly got rid of it once the human looked back at him.

"I feel like such a bad friend! He must've felt so left out.." Jeongguk bit his lip, looking down.

Putting up the fake act, Jimin tried to make his words sound real. "Ah.. Don't worry, Jeongguk-ah. I'm sure he'll come around. I need to go back home anyways, I'll talk to him. It was nice meeting you! I─ I hope I can see you sometime again!"

Jeongguk smiled widely, "Of course, Minnie! It's nice to have another friend! Tell Taehyung I'm sorry, please."

Jimin nodded, pushing himself back into the water -which was needed anyway since his tail was getting really dry- and waved.

"I'll do that. See you next time!"

Waving back, Jeongguk smiled. "See you!"

────🐚────

Laying on his bed, Jeongguk stared at something specific.

The gifts from the blue haired male.

He grew attached to him. Taehyung is a friend everyone wishes to have in life, he's so kind and sweet.

Jimin comparing to Taehyung, however, is nearly impossible. They're nothing alike. Jimin is extroverted and he's nowhere near shy, he just says whatever is on his mind without stuttering. Taehyung keeps things more to himself, he's shy and adorable.

Jeongguk knows that Taehyung is sensitive. That's one thing he learned as he got to know the merman more and more. Yet, he ignored him and spent the rest of the night talking to Jimin, while in reality, Taehyung is the one who had waited for him for hours.

"Hopefully he doesn't feel too bad..." Jeongguk mumbles, rubbing his eyes feeling guilty.

"I don't want him to think I'm replacing him or something like that.. He's unique to me. He's irreplaceable."

At this point he was thinking out loud, trying to comfort himself a little.

He really owes him a big apology.

────🐚────

"It's all my fault.." Taehyung muttered quietly, blaming himself for the fact that Jeongguk sees Jimin as his friend.

If he had been honest with him from the beginning, none of it would've happened.

Sighing, he watched his fins droop sadly to his side. He never wants to experience the feelings he had to go through today, ever again.

It hurt, and he did it to himself.

It felt like something so very precious got taken away from him. He knows he should trust Jeongguk, that the human wouldn't leave him. But his insecurities made it hard for him to do so.

Taehyung rubbed his wrist with his hand, expecting to feel the bracelet Jeongguk got him on his wrist, but he gasped in horror once he felt bare skin.

"No.." He breathed out, checking his other wrist.

"No, no, no, no, no!" His bottom lip was trembling.

He lost it. What is he supposed to tell Jeongguk? Would he get mad at him?

He really lost it. He lost Jeongguk's gift.

Words could not describe how bad and guilty he felt.

His hand reached for his hair, tugging harshly on his locks.