44 || Going To Make It

Chapter 44 : Going To Make It

2 weeks later.

Coming to class had been the last thing I intended.

But I could tell my GPA was plumetting to the ground with each class I missed, each assignment I didn't submit. It was a miracle I got up from bed this morning.

I'd been crying all week, it'd left me with a headache and stuffy nose, I could tell I looked like a mess as I slowly crawled into class, catching the glances of a few students but I couldn't be bothered.

For once in days, I looked into my phone and sure enough, there was a plethora of missed phone calls. Some had been from Mr Pipeson at the gym.

Jessica had offered to handle my shift but with the recent virality of the gym, I doubted she could handle it. And even though Angie did offer some hand whenever she was free, those days were far and few in between.

I sighed scrolling through my phone as someone sauntered by, Veronica and Kelsie.

Both girls have me a vicious snarl, proceeding to laugh as Veronica said "an eye for an eye," before casually sauntering away.

I didn't even have the strength to form a rebuttal, and even if I did, what was there to fight for. Ashton had violently injured Joey, he'd taken a personal matter into the ring and left Joey, barely hanging unto life, little did I know he himself would be in that predicament. I sighed as I buried my head into my notebook.

"Hey!"

I looked up to find Paul, standing right beside me, he gave me a small smile before proceeding to sit right next to me. "Are you okay?"

I didn't look okay, i didn't feel okay, I wasn't okay.

"Yeah, im fine."

"I was at the match the week before," he said, "I'm really sorry about Ashton." He paused, contemplating whether to say more.

He took my hand, giving me a comforting squeeze as the professor walked into class.

"Did you hear the news?" The guy in front of me said to his friend.

"What?"

"Ashton…"

I was so sick of hearing all the rumors, it was all that kept popping up on my feed all week which had been a major reason I'd decided to just get off the internet.

"His mom's getting a divorce," the first guy said to his friend.

I froze.

"Sh*t! Really?" The other guy asked.

"Yeah apparently, she's filing for a divorce from Jaxon, Ashton's dad, it's all over the internet…"

I turned over to Paul who groaned. "I was going to tell you."

I immediately grabbed my phone, going online.

And just like an open floodgate, the notifications, news and gossips started pouring in.

Famous influencer, Karla Malik, files for divorce against her husband, reasons are yet unknown but sources suspect it could connect to the recent incident at the BST which left Ashton Malik in critical condition, can the socialite family ever recover from this

I sat there, shocked, scrolling from article to article for any semblance of answer. But none came up.

•••

"MADISON MAURICE!" Mr Pipeson boomed. "Two weeks, you've been gone for two weeks without a call or anything"

"I was granted a leave," I explained.

"Yes, for one week, you don't just have Jessica walking up to me to explain you wouldn't be available for another." He glared daggers.

"I'm really sorry sir." I tried putting as much sympathy as I could to my words but sadly they fell flat.

"I'm in my due rights to fire you but I'll give you one last chance." He stared at me. "Now get into the changing room and put yourself together, you look like a mess."

Everyone was finally gone, I sat silently in the empty gym, staring blankly at the ceiling.

But the silence didn't last long.

The door slid open, and walking in was two figures i already recognised, Devin and Mrs Malik.

"Devin, what are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"I just got out the hospital, apparently your boyfriend knows how to throw a punch." He grinned before quickly noticing the mood and apologizing.

"We wanted to check up on you Maddie," Devin explained, "you've barely replied any texts or calls."

"I've been… Busy," I lied. "How's Ashton."

"Still unresponsive," Karla explained. "The doctor says he has a punctured lung and Two fractures… he also has severe internal bleeding."

The room fell utterly silent as we all stared.

"Which is why I'm here," Karla said.

I looked up at her, confused. Devin turned to her and they both nodded.

"I'll leave you both to it," he said as he left.

"Mrs Malik, I–"

"Please, call me Karla," she said.

There was an unsettling silence in the gym as we both stood.

"So, the rumors are true, you're getting a divorce?" I asked.

She nodded. "I don't think I can do this anymore, Jaxon wasn't like this, he wasn't the man I met, he was sweet, loving and caring but he changed, I don't think I can stay with someone willing to put our son at so much risk… my baby's dying," she cried.

I consoled her, letting her tear up for a moment.

"Sorry, I'm very sure this is uncomfortable for you," she sniffled.

I shook my head, I too had been crying for days, I couldn't blame her.

"Ashton's currently in a coma, doctor says he could be in serious pain, surgeries are being carried out but…" she paused, almost gauging my reaction. "If all else fails, we're considering removing him from life support."

"What?!" I yelled.

I was speechless, unable to even utter a word of defence.

"I know… but it may be our only choice." Karla cried. "He's just in so much pain and I don't want to see him like that… doctors say its unlikely he'll ever wake up if he doesn't respond to the final surgery, I was hoping you and the others could do by the hospital for a farewell, I just don't want him to go through this…he's my little boy."

She cried, falling into my arms as we both day there, crying to ourselves.

"He's going to make it." I know he is.

•••

Aww! I feel so bad right now, like bawling my eyes out.

It's anyone going to miss Ashton?

The story's coming to an end with three or less chapters left, I really hope you enjoyed the long ride, please do well to vote your favourite chapters.

Thank you so much for reading and putting up with my extra long (but necessary) hiatus.

Love y'all
-Thea