5 || Expectations

Chapter 5: Expectations

I snuggled closer to him.

Ashton wrapped an arm around me, my head resting on his chest. My mind had long lost focus on the movie, instead, I paid attention to his steady heartbeat.

The heat from him which swept into me.

I felt safe, comfortable in his arms. Staring up at him, I still couldn't believe he was someone I could call my boyfriend.

Ashton looked down at me, catching my eyes. "What're you think?" He asked.

"Where have you been?"

He smiled, leaning down and placing a gentle kiss on my forehead, his lips lingering for a second. "Waiting for you."

Drawing me closer, Ashton looked into his watch as the movie began rolling credits. He stood, yawning and stretching, an action that lifted his t-shirt by a few inches, exposing his lower abs and the band of his boxer.

"I've got to go, I've got training tomorrow," he said.

I knew dating a school's athlete would leave us with barely any time to spare but I wanted to squeeze out as much time as possible.

"Stay, please," I said in a low voice.

Ashton cupped my chin, placing tender kisses on my lips before wrapping his arms around me and lifting me up the sofa.

"Time for bed," he said as he carried me to my room.

"I don't want to go to bed," I said even though I directed him to my room, still pouting.

"You have classes tomorrow, Maddie."

He made his way into my room. Ashton had never been in there and I probably should have cleaned up. Shorts and t-shirts littered the floor, the beige walls in need of some repainting.

Ashton simply nodded, amusement in his eyes.

"Sorry for the mess, my room isn't exactly clean like yours," I said, already flustered from embarrassment.

Ashton laid me on the bed, his trademark smile on his lips as he tucked me under the covers. "I never wanted it to be like mine, I think this adds character."

He lowered and placed a kiss on my forehead before turning to leave.

"Ashton…"

He turned to me, taking a seat on my bed.

"Can you come tomorrow?" I asked.

His brows furrowed, lips pressed together. "I'm sorry Maddie, I've got training all day, with compulsory classes, I doubt there'd be any time."

I hid back my expression of disappointment. Ashton was a busy guy, he was a school boxer in his senior year. Everyone expected a good grade, they expected a flourishing boxing career. His words from last semester came to me.

When everyone expects so much from you, you've just got to put yourself out there.

I'd barely known him then but now I did, Ashton was much more than eye candy, he was a guy carrying so much, he was trying to live up to everyone's expectation, as a student, as a boxer, as a son.

As a boyfriend.

"It's fine." I put on a smile. I didn't want him to stress himself cause he felt he needed to reach some standard to qualify as my boyfriend. "Well, if you ever have time."

He nodded, his face still holding a level of disappointment in himself.

"Why are you training so hard though? Is there a match?" I asked.

Something flashed through his eyes that instant, his eyes falling to the floor. "My dad signed me up for the Black Spinel Tournament…"

I had no idea what that was but I knew it was boxing related.

Ever since Ashton's fight with Joey, I'd known how menacing boxing was, a part of me was scared Ashton would walk on that ring one day and would never be the same.

But another part was happy for him, Ashton had always been a boxer, this was his dream and who was I to stop him.

Smiling, I said, "great, I'm so happy for you."

I didn't want to discourage him from this, I knew Ashton always had my back, and this time, I just had to have his.

I faked a yawn, pretending to fall asleep, feeling Ashton place a kiss on my shoulder before finally cleaning up my mess of a room and leaving.