49 || Escape Plan

Chapter 49:  Escape Plan

•Ashton's Pov•

Three hours ago

My mom had been the first to show up on hearing the news, she'd pulled me into a hug, crying profusely. Then immediately stopped the moment she realised she may or may not have been hurting my ribs.

As I sat there, my mom caught me up to all that had happened, the biggest shocker being she'd gotten a divorce.

I was stuck feeling empty to that news, I didn't feel bad for my dad, if I could even call him that, he'd sabotaged all my relationships and tried to control everything about me in order to live vicariously through me. I just felt empty, hollow.

As I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling, the occasional beep of the monitor keeping me company, I couldn't help but worry about Maddie.

My mom had told me what had happened on her last visit and how she'd stormed out the place. A small smile crept up my lips, she was probably going to kick my ass when she saw me.

My mom slept right beside my bed, unwilling to leave even when the doctors had said they required to perform some check ups.

The door swung open.

I looked up, a bit expectant to find my girlfriend but she wasn't the one.

Instead Angie, Jessica, Alex, Justin and Devin poured in, all shocked and worried.

"Oh my god! He's not dead," Jessica yelled, almost relieved.

Justin on the other hand, was more physical, he rushed to me, jumping into the bed like a baby who'd just found his long lost mom. He pulled me into a hug. "Ashton, you wouldn't believe how glad I am you're okay,"

Well, okay was an overstatement, I'd overheard the doctor telling my mom I was out of harms way but I still needed to be carefully monitored over the next few weeks in case I developed any permanent "injuries"

The words left me reasonably scared as I wiggled my toes for the seventh time to make sure I could still feel my legs.

Alex walked up to me and for the first time (actually second if we're counting the time he met Angie) his plastered scowl was one of a soft smile.

"Good to see you up bro," he said.

"Alex, where's Maddie?" I asked, my voice reasonably dry from what I could imagine was days of no water.

He rolled his eyes. "Well between insulting us all and not picking my calls, I'd say she's probably back at her home town."

"She said she was sorry," Angie cut.

"And I forgave her." Alex smiled. "I'm just gonna keep bringing it up cause teasing her makes me feel better."

Both girls rolled their eyes.

"She went home this morning," Jessica explained. "She thought you were… you know… Dead. To be fair, we all did"

I laughed, even I did think so, I was one lucky son of a b*tch.

"We've got to go meet her," I said, trying to get up.

"Woah there big guy." Devin pushed me gently back to bed. "We doubt you're in any shape to travel an hour's journey, you just got up, remember?"

"We'll keep calling, surely she'd answer one of our calls," Angie stated.

"Get some sleep" Justin said, placing a kiss on my forehead like I was a kid. He was always the dramatic one.