35 || Rooting For

Chapter 35: Rooting For

Ashton and I hadn't spoken since yesterday…

The night had ended with a silent tension we'd barely had time to resolve today and as much as I wanted to walk out this bathroom and talk to him, I needed to think about the matter on ground.

The interview.

Here I stood, in the ladies bathroom, nervous about an interview that wasn't even about me but Ashton.

I drew in a breath, resisting the urge to run water down my face so as not to wash away the makeup I'd spent the whole morning perfecting.

I'd tried to go simple, Karla had helped out with the cat eye look and applied some gold eye shadow to go with my black minidress. She'd also been kind to give me some jewelries she didn't even plan on collecting.

Sighing, I tied my hair into a ponytail, staring at myself in the mirror before leaving the bathroom.

"We go live in ten," A lady, who I supposed was the host said to the camera crew. She seemed to be in her early forties at most, golden blonde hair and perfect green eyes.

"Tammy," Karla called to her.

"Karla." Tammy smiled as the two ladies hugged. "How are you? I've missed you."

"Girl, you look so good," Karla commented.

"Just trying to keep up with you darling." Tammy laughed, her stunning white teeth in full display.

She turned to Ashton. "Look at you, so grown up." She pulled Ashton into a hug, posing soft kisses on both sides of his cheeks. "You've gotten strong, I'm so proud of you."

She stood on her tip toe, ruffling his hair.

"Aunt Tam, I just got this done," Ashton complained.

"Anyone got your attention?" She teased.

"Tammy, have I introduced you to Maddie, amazing girl." Karla took Tammy, bring her to me.

"Hi!" I smiled nervously.

"Hello darling." Tammy turned to Karla. "And she is?"

"Ashton's ex… they ended on a good note," Karla added as the tensions rose.

"Oh!" Tammy's eyes narrowed, falling from Ashton to me. "So who broke who's heart?"

My eyes nervously caught Ashton's, his eyes focused on me for a second. It seemed like an eternity.

"Tammy," Mr Malik interrupted. "Shall we get started?"

"Yes, almost forgot… Lights, camera, you ready?"

The crew nodded, giving her a thumbs up as she turned to us. "In a second now, hope you're all ready? Everyone has their notes?"

The whole Malik family nodded. Tammy turned to me. "Oh, and Maddie, this's for you." She handed me a slip of paper, a few questions written on it.

"I didn't know we'd have a plus one, quickly whipped out some questions for you. Hope it isn't too sudden, I'd need you to memorise them before I call you all up."

I could feel my palm sweaty, hands shaking as I took the paper. I was definitely not nervous, I just tended to sweat a lot.

I nodded.

Tammy smiled, taking up the stage as the crew began yelling instructions.

I nervously fiddled with the paper, trying to memorise as much questions as possible.

"Hey, you nervous?"

I turned to find Ashton beside, peering into my paper. I nodded.

"Your parents have interview like this?" I asked.