40 || Truth

Chapter 40: Truth

"Are you okay?" Was the first question I could mumble as I rushed to my dad's side, giving him a gentle hug so as not to mess with the cables or monitors.

He chuckled. "Your old man may have gotten a little too confident…. Thought I didn't need those silly meds anymore."

He gave me a small reassuring smile, his have running through my hair as he stared into my eyes. The feeling sending comfort through me.

"Where's your mom?" He asked.

"She'll be here in a minute."

Ashton peeked through the door, casually inviting himself in, his hands in his pocket with a small smile on his face.

My dad raised a brow, his gaze falling from Ashton to me. "And who's the gentleman?"

I looked towards him. "That's Ashton… he's…" I trailed off.

"Hello sir," Ashton said as politely as he could, taking my dad's hand to shake.

"Quite a strong fellow," my dad remarked as Ashton shook. "You look quite familiar though."

Ashton casually smiled, avoiding to tell my dad he was the son of a well known boxer and upcoming boxer himself.

Ashton turned to me. "I'll be outside if you need anything," he said, making an awkward exit out the room.

My dad looked at me, his eyes narrowed. "Damn! He's fine… is there something you're not telling me, Maddison?"

I could feel my cheeks already rushing with embarrassment as I finally admitted, "he's my boyfriend."

My dad stared with a wide eye, a smile on his face. "I knew you were just like your old man, we Maurice have good taste you know."

I gave a dry laugh. My eyes falling into the sheets of the bed as I failed to look at my dad.

"Baby, what's wrong?" My dad asked, worried.

"I can't be with him, his father hates me, he gave me an ultimatum… but Dad, I don't think I want to hurt him again," I sobbed, renewed tears falling from my eyes.

My dad gave me a small nod, signalling I join him in the bed, he hugged me, letting me cry in his arms. "It's going to be fine baby, it's going to be alright."

I sniffled, looking up to my father. "Thanks dad."

"JACCOB MICHAEL MAURICE!" My mom stormed into the room, fire and brimstone raining in her eyes as I jolted up the bed.

She walked up to my dad. "If you weren't currently weak, I'd have slapped you," she fumed. "Never put us through that again!"

"I love you too." He grinned.

For a moment, I stood there in complete silence, watching as my mom and dad spoke, a playful banter here and there. We'd just been through a whole lot tonight and here they were, like nothing happened.

Then I realized, I wanted that. I wanted to go through the thick and thin with Ashton, I wanted to be with him even if the whole world said we couldn't.

"Maddie, you've got to tell your father to take this seriously," my mom said.

"I feel better baby." Dad laughed.

•••

I'd spent the whole day with my parents, from playing Scrabble to just sitting around, gossiping.

I'd almost forgotten I had to meet up with Ashton. I left the room.

He wasn't at the waiting lounge, my purse wasn't there either so I imagined he'd helped me take it to the car, I made my way outside to the car park.

The evening sun had set, casting an amber glow unto the place. I finally saw his car, Ashton sitting inside with a stern expression.

"Hey." I made my way to him. "Thanks a lot for staying, it means the world to me."

He casually leaned against his car, his expression almost out of place.

He sighed. "I'm guessing this's the part  where we break up."

"Ashton! I don't want to break up," I said. "Ashton, I want you."

His lips were pressed tightly together, hands in his pockets as he looked to the ground. My eyes looked into the car where my purse sat.

"Maddie, tell me the truth... Did my dad ask you to break up with me?" He retrieved the two envelopes, now opened.

I stood, stunned.

"It fell out on the pavement when I picked your purse, only to see a cheque with my dad's name… and a lawsuit."

Ashton's voice felt sharp, his voice cold and evenly toned. He looked at me, expecting an answer.

"Ashton, I was going to tell you…a lot was going on," I explained.

"So it's true, my dad asked you to break up…" his voice was laced with a mix of emotions but still at a controlled tone.

We both stared to the ground, unable to look at eachother.

"Get in the car, let's go," Ashton finally said as he jumped in.

"Where?" I asked.

"My dad's," he said sternly.

"Ashton, please don't do anythi–"

"Just get in the car Maddie… Please!"

I was silent for a minute, finally nodding and taking a seat as he turned on the engine.

We drove off

•••

I smell DRAMAAAA

Who else can't wait for the next chapter, I know this was pretty short (and the next chapter would probably be shorter)

What do you thinks going to happen? What about Ashton's match with Devin? Who's going to win?

I'm so excited…

See you later
-Thea