27 || Car Troubles

Chapter 27: Car Troubles

He stared down at me, perplexed.

Then he turned to Ashton and finally back at me in utter confusion.

"Maddie?" Devin asked.

Now I wasn't the best at handling awkward situations, we both knew that so don't blame be the moment I uttered the first thing that came to mind.

"Hi!" I quacked shyly.

"What're you– how– what the f*ck is going on?" Devin asked.

Ashton grabbed Devin, moving him a step away from me before using his body to barricade me. "At least have the decency to look away," he said.

It wasn't until Ashton said that, I realised I was still in my underwear. I hurriedly grabbed one of Thompson's oversized shirts, wrapping it over myself as Devin looked away, a hint of embarrassment on his face.

"Uh… sorry," he mumbled

"It's fine," I said.

Thompson's shirt clinging on me felt terrible. The strong smell of cigarette and alcohol left me with the urge to throw up.

Ashton quickly of me my clothes, I hurried into the bathroom to change and to quickly think of an excuse as to why Devin had just found me in the same room as my "ex".

There was no lying my way out of this, I want even a good liar to begin with. Ashton was probably a better liar than I was but even I doubted he had the sway to pull this off.

Plus, let's not forget, they probably hated eachother right now.

Just great, I thought as I clicked my hair back, washing away my smeared makeup. I was dead, this was it.

Devin was still standing right outside the bathroom with Ashton, in bed of an explanation.

It hit me like a baseball, I finally got the best idea. It was a longshot but it was my only option.

I turned, exiting the bathroom.

"Devin, I'm so glad you're here," I feigned hurt, running into his arms and hugging the poor confused boy.

Given, I was being a bit overly dramatic but have you seen me? Overdramatic was a default setting for me.

"Are you okay?" Devin asked.

I looked up at him, slightly nodding. "The bathroom downstairs was occupied do I thought I could find one up here," I said.

Devin stared at me, his expression softening but still confused.

"I'd barely been here ten minutes when Ashton popped in," I said. "I had to hide in the closet to prevent talking to him."

Devin glared at Ashton then turned to me to ask further questions but I immediately started wailing before he could poke holes in my obviously dumb story.

"You were making out with someone here while she watched from the closet," Devin said to Ashton, a seething rage in his eyes.

"Devin, it's not his fault," I replied. "He didn't know I was here…"

I turned to Ashton who was still quiet up until this point, his expression unreadable.

"Yeah," he said. "Besides, we're not dating."

I tried hard to swallow the knot in my throat at those words. I knew it was all part of the act but every time I heard those words, it made my heart sink.

Devin wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Let's go, this party was already dead since the beginning," he said.

He escorted me out, Ashton's gaze so on both of us as we left until we finally climbed down the stairs.