43 || Are You Happy

Chapter 43 : Are You Happy

My mind was a jumbled mess.

Ashton wasn't moving, the look of distress on his face as the paramedics rushed, equipping him with an air mask sent me chilling pain, I could barely watch as the nurses yelled at one another, all in distress.

"We have an emergency, take him to the EU," one yelled.

Emergency? Ashton was an emergency, I could barely move.

•••

"Mrs Maurice," the doctor snapped at me.

I looked up, finally back to reality.

"You're his next of kin right?" He asked.

The strong scent of disinfectant filled my nostrils as I sat in the doctor's office, the chilling air running down my spine like I were a corpse. I shook my head.

"His mom and dad are on their way," I explained. The doctor nodded, grabbing some files from his desk and placing them into an envelop. "Please wait outside."

"Doctor, he's going to be alright... right?" I could barely find the hope in my voice as I asked, fresh tears battling down my eyes.

The doctor was silent for a moment. "I can't say for now, he's been unresponsive... fortunately, he still has a pulse but we're still running further tests, we need to do an x-ray to make sure there's no internal damage."

I sat there, frozen.

Why's this happening? Why him? Why not me

Ashton wouldn't be in this state if it weren't for me, he wanted to win for me. He was going to make it, he was.

It wasn't until the doctor offered me a tissue did I realise I'd been crying, bawling in fact.

He escorted me out the office and to the waiting room, reassuring me they'd do the best they can.

"I want to see him," I said.

The doctor stared at me, confused. "I don't recommend that ma'am. He's in a terrible stat-"

"Please, I beg you," I urged, holding unto the doctors coat for comfort.

His gaze softened, pity washed over his face as he nodded. "Very well."

He led me into a room, opening the door for me. "You have ten minutes," he said, "once we're ready for the x-ray, you'd need to leave."

I nodded, entering the room as the doctor left.

I stood in unimaginable awe as I stared at Ashton. He laid with tubes, wires and monitors stick all over him, patches and bandages on every inch of his once gracious body.

I walked up to him, his face as peaceful as could be, like he was sleeping.

What if he never wakes up?

"You're going to wake up," I said out loud, taking his hand and squeezing as gently as I could, the thought of causing him any more physical pain sending me shivers. "Please Ashton, please wake up!"

I heard as the door swing opening, I turned to find karla rushing into the room to her son, the once calm and collected woman looked nothing like her past self. Tears rushed down her eyes, her makeup barely done with mascara running down her cheeks.

"Ashton honey, can you hear me? Ash!" She yelled, cradling Ashton like a nursing mother. She looked up at me. "Im so sorry i wasn't there, I was on my way when his dad called..."

Mr Malik, he was the reason all this happened. I could feel my sadness morphing into a raging anger at the thought. "Where is he?" I asked.

"His coming right upstairs, he needed a minute," she explained.