34 || Horizon

Chapter 34: Horizon

I'd watched enough true crime to leave me scared of driving late at night but for some reason, I felt safer driving in the dark rocky road than in the beach house.

I finally parked, drawing in a deep breath of the cold, frigid air. I'd been in a rush, I didn't have any money so I couldn't even stay at a hotel or something.

I opened the car, stepping out and walking down to the sandy beach, letting the sand sink in between my toes as I sat, watching the peaceful water. The horizon, a clash between the simmering crystal like waters and almost ethereal dark sky, stars twinkling in the silence.

I couldn't help but let the tears run down. I wasn't used to being the strong confident girl that was untouchable.

I was hurt and it showed.

I hated feeling this way, I didn't want to be burden and try here I was, I felt like a heavy pile of rocks Ashton had to carry around, had to defend.

He'd turned against his dad and if I hadn't left, it could have gotten worse. I sobbed

I could hear the hum of a car as it drove nearby, it was Ashtons sport car. He parked right beside mine, calling out to me as he couldn't see in the dark.

"Maddie!"

I remained silent. I knew Ashton, he was going to try and convince me to come back, he was going to tell me how sorry he felt and how much he loved me.

And I knew, every single time he said those words, they'd work.

So I kept quiet.

"I'm really sorry about everything," he yelled to the dark, making his way through the beach. "None of this's your fault. Please, it isn't safe out here, just tell me your alright."

I sighed, wiping away my tears. "I'm fine!"

He waited for a second, probably trying to figure out where my voice had come from.

"Can you come back home?" He asked.

"No... Please" I sobbed, sitting with my chin rest on my knees.

Ashton was a few steps away by now.

"Your dad hates me, doesn't he?" I asked.

Ashton finally made it to me, sitting right beside me and equally watching the waves crash.

"Yes," he said.

I was glad he wasn't about to pretend to make me feel better, he wasn't going to lie his dad was some cheerful man who had a big heart.

"He doesn't like you but I do… I'm not dating you for him, I'm dating you cause I love you… his opinion doesn't matter in our relationship."

"Ashton, I can't even kiss my own boyfriend in public just cause I'm scared to lose my scholarship, his opinion does matter."

Ashton was silent, he simply held me in his arms, letting me cry in his arms.

I knew it hurt him knowing he couldn't do anything about it, knowing he could just sit and console me.

"I promise, I'll fix this," he whispered into my hair.

We sat right there, casually gazing at the horizon in silence, the stars shinning bright.

•••

I didn't even realise when I'd slept until Ashton nudged me, waking me up.

"Hey, get up… you'll catch a cold," he said, offering me his jacket.

"What's the time?"

He looked into his phone. "Eight thirty."

"I don't want to go back," I mumbled into his shirt.

"You don't have to… we could sleep in the car if you like."

I nodded. He wrapped his arm around me, carrying me in a bridal style as he made his way to Karla's more spacious car.

He placed me in the back seat, covering me with the blanket them placing a kiss on my hair.

"Don't go," I begged.

"I'm here, I'm not going anywhere, he sat beside me, letting me rest my head on his thighs.

"You know I love you, right?" I asked.

"As clear as day."

"It's night, Ashton." I smiled, sitting up to place a kiss on his lips. It deepened in seconds. His hand slipped under my shirt, drawing slow steady circles over my skin, his touch sending shivers down my spine.

I let him take off my shirt, my lips meeting his again as he fiddled through his pocket for something.

The last time we'd tried going that far, we'd been interrupted by Devin but it felt like the fire was still there, the craving for one another.

"You'd asked me if I was ready," I said. "I am."

I tried sitting up but just ended up bumping my head with the glass. "Ouch!"

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice breathy, filled with concern.

"Yeah," I said, a shade of nervous embarrassment washing over me

He kissed me once again, gently holding my chin as I removed his t-shirt. My hands brushing against his chest.

I froze.

"What was that?"

"Was what?" Ashton asked, confused.

I quickly raised his shirt, my eyes horror filled.

Multiple bruises sat across his chest, so different shades of purple, blue and red. "Ashton, what happened?"

He quickly took the shirt down, failing to meet my eyes as he casually said. "Just practice."

"That's practice?" I scoffed. "Ashton, you're bruised, that isn't practice."

"I'm fine Maddie, it's no big deal."

"Ashton, you're taking this way too far, you could d–"

"Maddie, I've trained for this my whole life, a few scratches won't do anything... Drop it!" He said, his voice sounding more stiff and assertive than it'd seemed moments ago

Ashton was stubborn, he was the kind of guy who didn't take no for an answer and that scared me.

I nodded. "We should probably get some sleep," I said.

He nodded, feeling the tension in the car. "I'll go get some air for a minute."