Chapter 39

The group of five eventually reached the docks of Stiix.

"Welcome to Stiix. Watch your step," A fisherman says. "Oh, I caught one. It's a big fella. Ugh, whoa. Whoa!" He is pulled into the Endless Sea. "Ugh. Dagnabbit."

Kai sat down nervously as his team members watched him.

"I didn't know you were afraid of heights," Jay comments.

"It's not the height," Y/n replies.

"It's the water I hate," Kai agrees.

"Didn't seem to have a problem before," Zane says.

"Before I could make a Fire Dragon at will," Kai replies. "Since Morro's taken over Lloyd and our powers gone, I haven't felt — Agh!"

Y/n catches Kai before he could fall.

"Well, now that we know ghosts don't like water either, at least we should feel safe surrounded by it," Cole says, trying to look away at the bright side.

"Ugh, what a dump," Jay says. "You'd think the thief who stole the Scroll of Airjitzu would have better taste."

"Uh, this is Ronin we're talking about," Cole says. "He'd steal the sea if it were worth anything. We just have to figure out which rock he's under and get to the Scroll before Morro does."

"Let's split up and start looking," Zane suggests.

They made their way around Stiix, ending up at a pawn shop.

"Wait a minute," Cole says. "This is my dad's Blade Cup trophy. What's it doing in a pawn shop?"

"Selling stolen goods?" Kai asks. "Ha, sounds like we might have stumbled on the right place."

Ronin came in at that moment, whistling while carrying a vase.

"Ronin," Jay says.

"Huh?"

"Going so soon?"

"If this is about our last encounter, it was only business," Ronin defends.

"You left us in the mouth of a—"

"So you're still upset. Let me make it up to you," Ronin says, making Y/n raise her eyebrows.

Ronin puts down the vase he is carrying and pushes a button.

"Aha!" He says just before the vengestone net trap fails. "Uh, that was a mistake. I can explain that.'

"Argh, nothing here is legit, including you," Cole groans.

"Yeah. I bet your airship's not far either. What do you call it again? Rylo? Ruby?" Jay asks.

"R.E.X," Ronin replies. "And could you have a little sympathy? Sold her so I could buy this place. As you can see, I'm trying to make an honest living."

"Honest enough to steal the Scroll of Airjitzu?" Kai asks.

"The Scroll of Who-whatzu?" Ronin asks.

"Airjitzu. It can make a Spinjitzu Master fly," Jay replies.

"And if you don't hand it over, I will make you fly," Y/n threatens.

"Whoa, cool down, fella. Even if I had such a thing, it sounds pretty old and important. Definitely not something I'd keep on site. And definitely too much for you to afford," Ronin says, throwing subtle shade. "Maybe I can interest you in some unique weapons? I've got Jadeblades, obsidian armor..."

"Have anything that can vanquish ghosts?" Zane asks.

"Hmm, ghosts, you say?"

"Yeah. They hate water, but we're not looking for water balloons. We need something reliable," Cole replies.