CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

✧☾✧

Haven's heart stopped when she heard what Isaac said in his trance, sharing looks with Scott and Stiles. When she looked at Derek, he was trying his best to keep his composure, but the darkened eyes and hardened jaw was the only thing needed to show how his heart was breaking.

"I saw it!" Isaac bolted up, regaining consciousness after Deaton and Derek's questions while he was in the trance state. "I saw the name." He immediately moved to get out of the tub with Derek's help, going straight for the towel Deaton was holding open for him.

Derek wrapped a second around him, the two bundling Isaac up while he shivered and tried to get his words out with some panting.

"It's uh, B-Beacon Hills First National Bank," he stated, talking quickly. "It's, um, it's an abandoned bank, and they're keeping them locked inside the vault."

It started to rain outside, the thunder and lighting making lighting flash inside of the already dim veterinarian clinic.

No one says anything, everyone's attention still focused on the last thing Isaac had said before he snapped himself out of his hypnotic state. Derek's eyes met with the floor, and Isaac looked between Deaton and Derek, wide eyed and clueless.

"What?" he asked.

"You don't remember what you said right before you came out of it, do you?" Stiles asked.

Isaac's first instinct was to turn around and look at Haven, wanting to hear it from her what had everyone so grim and serious. His voice was small when he'd asked, "What did I say?"

Haven looked around at everyone but him, not really wanting to be the bearer of bad news. She titled her head to the side sympathetically, a frown plastered on her face. No wonder he blocked out the memory of what happened, she would have wanted to, too. 

"You said that you were dragged into a room and that you saw someone in there." She was speaking slow, overly conscious about not stuttering as she swallowed the saliva building in her mouth. She let out a soft exhale. "It was Erica," she said, feeling tears forming in her eyes for another time that day. 

No matter what had happened between the two of them before didn't change the grief she was now experiencing. Sure, she was a grade-A jerk, but she was still someone Haven knew.

"W-what about her?" he asked, taking a few steps towards her this time but she looked away.

Havens bottom lip quivered for a moment, and she looked to Stiles with pleading eyes. She couldn't be the one to tell him.

"She's dead," Stiles said for her.

She saw the look in Isaac's eyes. The way his eyes widened and then darkened, closing slightly. The once bewildered expression turned dark, and he unlocked eye contact with her. He quietly propped himself up on the table she was sitting on, sliding back until his back also his the wall. His left side was touching her right, feeling her warmth through his cold towel and wet jeans.

"She's not dead," Derek practically yelled, in denial that one of his betas was killed, and he was able to do anything about it.

"Derek, he said, 'There's a dead body, it's Erica,'" Stiles reasoned.

Isaac flinched as Stiles retold his story, but he started to peel away at the towels and grab his shirt, sliding it back on.

"Doesn't exactly leave much room for interpretation," Stiles added.

"Then who was in the vault with Boyd?" Derek wanted answers, but he knew no one in that room would be able to answer them.

A tad but irritated and with his regular level of sarcasm, Stiles replied, "Someone else, obviously."