NINETEEN

40 COMMENTS

✧☾✧

✧☾✧

Haven walked into her house, seeing spices out of the cabinets on the floor or counter tops. Everything was in disarray, cabinets open and drawers too. 

"Mom?" Haven shouted, stepping into the house cautiously. She walked slowly, trying to hear for anything. "Mom?!"

She heard sniffling by the kitchen island, and when she peered over the other side of it, there her mother was, on the floor with tears stains on her face.

"Mom!" Haven yelled, running over and getting on her knees by her mother. She grabbed her hands, trying to calm down her mother while she was in a sensitive state. "What happened?"

"You're not the only witch who needs to find an anchor," Merced said, wiping her face with her hands. "I think it's time I tell you the story of my teenage years."

✧☾✧

Merced, back when she was still Merced Marshall, had been just like Haven growing up. She was around fifteen when she met Talia Hale, sparking the activation of her werewolf gene. Merced's parents had taught her growing up about her kind and her powers to make sure she was ready when the time came that she might have to defend herself, her friends, or the town.

She and Talia had become best friends quick. As they got older, they both became powerful in their own respective abilities. In their college years, the two of them became a force to reckon with. 

Talia became a rare type of alpha who could completely shift from woman to wolf, and Merced learned to be able to perform spells without having to channel another witch or supernatural being.

It was through Talia that she learned about anchoring, which was something that they didn't know a witch could do, too. It was what Talia's pack used to control their werewolf side, and it became apparent to Talia when she watched Merced lose control, what made her regain it: Ricky Salazar.

Talia watched as Merced lost control once, and her extremely human of a boyfriend ran over to her despite the objects flying. Ricky grabbed her hands, shouting at her until she was able to hear them, and calmed her down.

But Beacon Hills progressively got unsafe over the years. A supernatural war between werewolves and the Argents, the witches and the druids attempting to help keep the peace, and the different Alpha packs coming to town to seek out Talia's advice.

Eventually, Talia told Merced that it would be a good idea if she didn't take sides. Merced was confused with the request, but the alpha told her that as a witch of her power, perhaps acting a as a bridge between the two sides would keep both of them in line.

So, Merced aligned with the Argents a few times to try to weed out werewolves that were killing innocents. Eight years into her marriage with Ricky and while pregnant, where Talia had been her maid of honor, little Laura Hale was her flower girl, and Derek hale was her ring bearer, Ricky died getting in the crossfire of Merced helping the Argents subdue a rogue wolf. Then, a few years later, after Kate Argent set fire to the Hale House, and Merced lost the rest of her chosen family.