Chapter 1: A Walk To Atlanta

~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 1~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~

“Mariah,” my brother, Daniel, groaned to me in a high, annoying pitched voice. I ignored his call to me and kept my focus on the road ahead of me, my tropical green eyes noticing every little detail that I drive by. “Mariah!” Danny called to me loader, this time he grabbed my shoulder and started to shake it a little. 

I glanced to him, seeing his pale green eyes go round for a beg. “What?” I asked, trying to not snap at him. I found that task a little difficult due to the state of the world at the moment. How would I explain it… let me just say that there are people –no, not people. Things. There are things roaming the streets, forests, homes, and everywhere else. They are covered in the blood of their victims and what they do to the people they catch is horrifying.

Those things eat them. I shuddered, remembering the faces of friends and family that were eaten by those things. Daniel cleared his throat to speak, since he was losing his voice from crying.

“Where is mom?” he asked, his lip quivering. I hung my shoulders, the memories clogging my thoughts. I would rather not answer this, but my brother hasn’t seen our mother for a long time, even before the outbreak.

Checking on my gas level, I answered, “She is in a better place.” Danny snapped his head to me, his eyes swelling up in tears. He threw his hands over his face as he cried, knowing exactly what it meant. It must be hard for him… he is only ten years old and he already lost his mother. Our mother.

How she died was the tragic part. No, I shall not explain it now, but you shall find out soon enough. I reached my hand to Daniel, rubbing his shoulder to comfort him. It wasn’t working too well, so I put my hand back on the wheel. “Don’t worry, Danny,” I said simply. I would say that we would be ok, but I don’t know if that is true or not. With all of these walking corpses, I don’t know if I will even be here tomorrow.

I saw a few of the things walking after our car, hissing and moaning loudly as their arms reached for us. My gas tank still was half-full, so I didn’t have to worry about stopping for a while. Where am I heading? Atlanta. I heard before the outbreak that it is supposedly a “safe haven”. I don’t know if it’s true, but it is worth a shot.

My stomach growled, reminding me that we haven’t eaten lunch yet. My brother and I took all of our food from our house and stuffed it in the trunk, and there was a lot. Enough for us to last for a month or two. We had bread, cans of soup, cans of fruits and vegetables, and a lot of crackers. Our only drink was apple juice and water, and I think we have a little bit of soda too.

Daniel was wiping his tears when I looked back to him. I don’t expect him to be ok, but I hope he toughens up a little bit so we can get through this madness until there is a cure. After a few more minutes of driving, I felt Danny shake my shoulder again.

“Yes?” I asked, a yawn escaping my lips.

“Can I sit in the back with Sunny?” Daniel asked, looking to the back seat. We had two dogs, Lucky and Sunny. Lucky didn’t make it since she was distracting a few of the infected while Sunny, Daniel and I ran for the car. Good dog… My other dog, however, was still with us. We have a few bags of dog food for her, and she eats a lot since she is a large mastiff.

Sunny perked her head as she heard her name. I sighed and slowed the car to a stop, feeling my pistol in my pocket still. I used up a lot of ammo getting out of my small town, but it was overrun so I had to use it up. When the car stopped, I opened the door, hearing it creek loudly.

Grabbing at my 6-inch knife that was in my other pocket, I made sure none of the infected was around. Lucky enough, there wasn’t any. There was a crashed car stuck in a ditch, and maybe there are supplies. Double-checking to make sure there were none of those things, I signaled Danny to get out and into the back seat of the car. I would rather have him sitting next to me but I would like him to be comfortable too.