Chapter 5: Thanks Nick, Welcome To Woodbury

~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 5~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~

“I said drop it!” the kid snapped, readying his gun to shoot. I dropped my knife, glancing at Merle uneasily. I hope he doesn’t say something stupid, like: Why don’t you make me? I wouldn’t be shocked if he said that, but then again he doesn’t have a weapon either way. “You folks lost?” he asked a little more casually. He walked past us, keeping an eye on us while he opened his door.

Merle and I exchanged looks, then followed the boy inside the cottage. On the way to the inside of the cottage, I grabbed my knife that I had to drop to get the boy to not shoot us. The inside of the house was nice, with wooden floors nicely waxed. It was only lit with candles, so it had a dark feeling to it. The boy had a large backpack around his shoulder, and he flung it onto the couch of the living room. I closed the door, not too sure what he wanted us here for. Well, I guess he doesn’t want us to be alone unwatched. The boy seemed really mature for his age, but I guess in a world like this you have to change or else you’ll die. I hope Daniel will change for the good.

“We just needing supplies… not really lost,” I lied. We were so lost it was pathetic. The boy cleared a spot on the couch for Merle and I to sit, and ushered me to sit there. I went along with it, but Merle didn’t sit down. Of course he wouldn’t.

“Well, I’m Nick. I wont do ya’ no harm. You folks hungry?” he asked. When he said hungry, my stomach growled. Nick chuckled, and said,” I take tha’ as a yes.”

I grew red in embarrassment as the boy walked off into a kitchen, out of our view completely.

Merle walked over to me and took a seat next to me, leaning back on the couch. “I don’ like ‘em,” he growled quietly to me.

“You don’t like anyone,” I retorted. Merle frowned as he leaned back on the couch again. Merle needs to trust people a little better, and maybe give them a chance every now and then. The smell of eggs filled the air, and my stomach growled again. I cursed at myself for the noises my stomach made. I haven’t heard Merle’s stomach make a single noise yet.

Nick, after a few minutes, came back to us with two bowls of eggs. That’s nice of him to give us some food. This kid looked pretty set up here, and I wish I could just stay but I doubt he would want that. Nick handed Merle a bowl and noticed that one of his hands were gone. He handed me the other bowl, and I saw him constantly glance over to the missing stump of a hand.

After taking a bite of the eggs, I said,” Thank you.” Nick nodded, leaning against the rock wall. This house was really nice, and I knew that I would love to just live here. Nick didn’t give us a spoon to eat the eggs with, but I was so hungry I practically drank it. Merle ate it quickly too, occasionally looking up to shoot Nick an angry glare. He should be more appreciative. “Hey Nick, I know this is a lot to ask for, but do you have any spare fuel? We ran out a while back,” I asked as I set the empty bowl on the cluttered table in front of me.

“None that I can lend out,” Nick said. I frowned, and wondered why he wouldn’t hand out extra fuel. Then again, he could use it in an emergency situation. I doubt he knows how to drive so maybe he uses the fuel for some kind of walker bomb.

“How ‘bout you give it to us before things get ugly,” Merle threatened through gritted teeth. I glared at him, and kicked him roughly with my foot. I glared at me back and kicked back too, making me ball my fist.

Nick pursed his lips, and I could tell he didn’t take notice to Merle’s threat. “You ain’t in a position to fight me. You are, well, missin’ somethin’,” Nick said as he looked at Merle’s wrist. Merle widened his eyes as he stood up, his only fist balled up in anger.