Chapter 14: Clubbing

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 14~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Stepping into Merle’s view, I saw his jaw drop and his eyebrows rise. I put one hand on my hip, pursing my lips as I stood up straight. “Damn girl,” Merle said as he tightened the strap on his metal attachment. I smiled, seeing him look at me like that made my heart flutter. Not one person has ever looked at me like they wanted me that much. “Alright darlin’, let’s get goin’. Wha’ time is it?” he asked as we walked out the door.

The air wasn’t as cold as it used to be, but it was still cold enough for me to see my breath. “9:40,” I answered, letting my arms fall back down to my sides. We could hear the bass pound in our ears even though we weren’t in the clubhouse, and I was getting excited. “You ready?” I asked, nudging Merle with me elbow.

He nudged me back playfully, his expression unreadable. “Darlin’, I was ‘bout to ask ye’ the same thing,” Merle replied coolly.

We entered the clubhouse and it was surprisingly small. It was dark, and neon lights beamed everywhere. It was crowded, and it seemed that everyone (other than the kids, of course) were here, and I even spotted Andrea. She was holding a glass of wine at the bar, sitting next to the Governor. The door closed behind us, and the music boomed.

Jessica emerged from the crowd of sweaty dancers, dragging Martinez behind her. She wore a white shirt with white shorts, wearing long earrings that reached her shoulders and at least five necklaces. “There you are!” Jessica shouted as she let go of Martinez’s hand and grabbed mine. “I’ve been looking for you! Let’s dance, girl!” she laughed as she dragged me into the crowd.

Martinez and Merle were talking when I left them, and I was in the middle of the dance floor. The song, My Chick Bad, sounded and Jessica started dancing. She knew what she was doing, and even though I went to clubs, I have no dancing bone in my body. I suddenly felt out of place until Jessica grabbed my hands and pulled me into a dancing frenzy.

A guy with a platter of alcohol passed by and Jessica managed to grab four. “Drink this!” Jessica said as she drank down all of her first glass. She shoved me two of the drinks, some of it spilling. Smiling, I eyed Jessica, glancing at the drink.

“Er- I don’t drink,” I said awkwardly.

“Just try it!” Jessica said, hiccupping. I frowned, and then thought, what’s the worst that could happen? I drank down the first bottle, then the second in large gulps. I almost fell over, but I caught my balance. The guy with the platter of drinks grabbed the glasses, and disappeared into the crowd.

Jessica continued to dance, doing all this fancy footwork while her hands were all over the place. I shook my hips, and found myself doing a twirl and going along with the song. “There you go! You’re not half bad!” Jessica said as she hiccupped. I found eyes watching me as I strut my stuff, and I started smiling. I felt good. Haven’t felt this good in a long time, and that drink really did it for me. I started do all these moves I didn’t really plan to do, but it just came to me.

When I went to clubs, I didn’t really drink that much. I just downed two drinks and now I feel dizzy but good at the same time. I was drunk.

“May I have this dance?” I heard Merle’s voice behind me say sarcastically. I turned to him, and found him quite a distance away from me. I walked my way to him, my legs crossing each other and I felt like I was a model walking down a runway. When I was in front of him, I let a smirk play on my lips as I continued to dance. Merle didn’t really dance; he just stood there, tapping his foot to the ground in the beat of the song.

Speaking of songs, it changed. The song, For My People, played and that definitely changed the way I danced. My vision was a little fuzzy from the drink, but I didn’t give a care in the world. I closed the distance between Merle and I by grinding my hips to his, my eyes never leaving his. Merle’s eyebrow’s raised, and the corner of his lips turned into a smirk.