Chapter 13: Good News

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 13~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Winter was, well, cold. And it felt like winter lasted forever, but after a few months, it ceased itself and the warm, spring breeze is coming in. Thank god. Merle and I have grown closer; my knuckle has officially been healed completely. The Governor won’t send out search parties for my brother since we have no idea where they went, but I am confident that we’ll find them.

Currently I was sitting at the shooting range part of the wall with Jessica at my side. I was giving her another shooting lesson, and I keep telling her that she is improving, but she really sucks at aiming. “You keep holding your breath in when you shoot, it messes you up. Release your breath,” I said as Jessica exhales.

“Alright. I think I got it this time,” Jessica said, closing one eye for accuracy. She pulled the trigger, but no bottle was hit. I pinched the bridge of my nose, getting annoyed. “Mariah, look where I was aiming. See?” Jessica said as she pointed to a headlight of a crashed car. It was broken and sparks flew out of it.

Finally! I was starting to think that I was a bad teacher. “Good job Jess!” I said as I gave her a congratulating hug. “I was starting to lose faith in your shooting lessons. I actually was going to call Merle over to help out-”

“Why Merle?” Jessica asked.

“He taught me how to shoot, and he only has one hand so that means something,” I answered.

Jessica raised one eyebrow, a smirk creeping on her lips. “Uh-huh. I know that isn’t the only reason you want him here. Ew, how could you like that guy?” Jessica asked. I punched her on her arm, not liking how she is talking about Merle.

She just laughed, knowing that it would get to me. “He’s better than your man,” I retorted. Jessica thought that was hilarious.

“Martinez is WAY better than Merle,” Jessica said as she put her hands on her hips. “Anyway, thanks for the lesson. I have wall-watch right now, so I’ll see you later?” Jess said as she got off the wall and made her way towards the front of Woodbury.

I waved her farewell, then took out my own gun. I stretched my fingers, glad that my knuckle is healed. Putting my gun up, I aimed at a few headlights of cars. I pulled the trigger eight times, and shot 5 headlights, and 3 bottles. I smiled in satisfaction, liking how my shooting skills have increased since I first got here.

Shooting a few more bottles, I heard a familiar voice behind me. “Showin’ off much, darlin’?” I turned around and put my gun in its sheath. I was greeted with Merle and his grin, and his hand and wrist found their place on my hips. I got on my tiptoes and pressed my lips on his for a quick peck.

“Just warming up,” I said as I turned back to all the targets I’ve shot. Merle chuckled, amused that I was just ‘warming up’.

“Anyway, Gov’ner wants us to investigate this helicopter they shot down,” Merle said.

I raised an eyebrow. “A chopper? Really? Alright, let’s go then,” I said. Wow. The Governor has shot down many groups, but this one had a helicopter. That’s crazy. Sometimes I wasn’t so happy with what the Governor does, but I have to go along with it or I will be kicked out. We have to do what we have to do to survive.

We caught up with Bowman, who was picking us up to get to the Governor (who was already at the helicopter). Merle got in the front seat, while I got in the back. I wasn’t really surprised when Merle didn’t hold the door open for me like a normal gentleman will do, then it hits me. Merle is nothing like a gentleman. I chuckled at that, and then we started moving.

Surviving was getting easier for me. Biters weren’t as frightening to me, and even though they were now moving faster since winter is over, I can still take them on.