Chapter 9: Shitty Sandwich

~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 9~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~

I arrived at Woodbury around lunchtime. The sun was shining but it was getting colder. The wind was harsh, clouds were getting darker and thicker, and I am able to see my breath in the night.

The gates opened loudly, and I just drove into Woodbury with a solemn expression on my face. The Governor was on wall watch when I arrived, and he immediately caught up to me when I parked the motorbike.

“How’d it go?” he asked. I gave him a look, and I saw his expression soften seeing how much hurt there was in my eyes. The Governor was going to say something, but I turned and walked away. I just wanted to be alone.

My little house seemed so far away from where I was, but I got there in a minute of walking. Thoughts like: What if I find Daniel like I found them? or What if I never see my brother again? These thoughts ran through my mind faster than the speed of light. Tears welled up in my eyes when I arrived at my little house’s door.

Wiping away the tears, but knowing my eyes would be red from the crying, I opened the door. Merle sitting at the small dining table when I walked in, and he was cleaning his knife attachment. His head snapped up when he saw me walk in, and I saw that he had a lot of questions.

“Wha’ the hell, Mariah?! Could ya’ at least tell me where ye’ go before ye’ disappear from me???” Merle said asked he stood up, putting his knife in his pocket. I looked away from his angry eyes and walked over to the bed and sat down, putting my face in my hands.

I was not in the mood to be talked to in that way. He doesn’t know what I just did. He wouldn’t understand what killing kids is like, infected or not. “Mariah?” Merle asked as I heard him walk towards me. Tears welled up in my eyes but I didn’t look at Merle. I just want to be alone. “Go away…” I growled but it came out more like a sob. Merle sat down next to me, and I felt his eyes on me.

“Wha’ happened?” Merle asked in a soft voice. I shook my head and removed my hands from my face. Merle frowned when he saw tears roll down my cheeks. I can’t stop myself from crying. I didn’t find Daniel, and not only that, but I killed two kids. “Mariah?” Merle asked. I shook my head again as I sniffed. Out of nowhere I felt his large arms around me, and he pressed my head against his chest.

Letting out little sobs, I accepted his hug and just kept crying into his chest. I must be going to hell for killing two children. Merle stroked my hair gently as he tried to calm me down. “It’s ok darlin’. It’s ok,” Merle said softly.

I took a deep breath and look up at Merle. He was comforting me, and I appreciate that. I don’t think I can get through this alone. “They weren’t there,” I said. Merle looked to the side, unsure on what to say. “Y-You know Morales? H-He and… and his family were dead. They were biters. I had to kill their two kids. Kids,” I cried. Merle frowned and pressed me back into his chest while he continued to stroke my hair.

“Ye’ did wha’ ye’ had to do,” Merle said, “They weren’t kid’s anymore.” I knew that. I know that the kids were just biters. They weren’t who they used to be. But when I drove my knife into their skulls, it felt like I did kill two kids. Merle placed a kiss on the top of my head as he wiped away a few stray tears.

“I know… I know,” I said as I sat up straight. My stomach growled loudly and I frowned hearing that. I haven’t eaten anything all day but I lost my appetite.

Merle raised an eyebrow when he heard my stomach, then stood up. “Lemme cook somethin’ up for ye’,” Merle said as he walked over to the kitchen. I let out a quiet sigh, then fell on my back so that I was laying flat on the bed. I frowned as I stared up at the ceiling. He doesn’t understand. How could Merle know the feeling of killing a kid? Let alone two kids. Unless he has already done so when the outbreak started. I frowned.