Chapter 24: The Search for Daniel I

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 23~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ 

I am starting to get a bit worried at the moment. It’s nighttime and my brother hasn’t come back yet. I waited at the wall for them with Michonne with me, but literally hours passed and there was no sign of them.

“They should be back by now,” I said, my voice shaky. Michonne noticed my anxiety, then thought of words that would sooth me.

“Go ask Merle how long it takes to hunt, because who knows, it could take a week to hunt,” Michonne said with positivity. I sighed, then did as she said.

Merle was cleaning his knife attachment on the front porch of the house, and he just glanced up at me when I approached. “Hey babe,” Merle said with a smirk. I don’t think he noticed my look of anxiety, so I took a seat next to him and put my face in my hands, letting out a stressed out sounding moan.

That got Merle’s attention. “Wha’s the matter with ye’, darlin’?” Merle asked, sitting up straight.

“Why aren’t our brothers back yet?” I asked, my eyes round with worry for my baby brother.

“Ye’ got nothin’ to worry ‘bout, Mariah. My brotha’ will probably be back in the mornin’,” Merle said with no hint of worry in his voice. I know I could believe Merle when he says that, but I still felt like Daniel is in danger. He is still young and is still capable of making mistakes, and a mistake can kill you.

I shuddered. “Alright… if they don’t come in the morning we are going to start taking action,” I said, crossing my arms. Merle nodded, not really showing any concern. I bet before the outbreak they’d go hunting and it wouldn’t be any issue. I heard from Andrea –back in Woodbury-, that Daryl got lost in the woods once and no one looked for him.

That worried me even more. Merle gave me a one-arm-hug since his right arm had a blade sticking out of it’s end. “Quit worryin’ darlin’,” Merle grumbled, “And let’s get some rest, a’ight? It’s late.”

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Maybe I’m just a bit tired and that’s why I’m worrying so much. I bet that by the time I wake up tomorrow, Daniel and Daryl will be back. Merle and I went upstairs into our room, and I had to admit, I was tired.

I put on comfy clothes on and hopped into the bed, stretching out my arms. Merle blew out the candles that lit the room. We were being quiet, and maybe it’s because I’m tired as fuck and Merle was too. I don’t know what he did, but I wont bother him for it.

“Ye’ still worryin’?” Merle asked as he got under the covers with me. I let out a sigh of a response. Merle removed his metal attachment, throwing it elsewhere while I got myself comfortable next to him. “Watch, they’ll be back in the mornin’. Now get some sleep,” Merle said, and I obeyed.

       ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ The Next Afternoon~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“They are not here,” Carl informed me. He was guarding the main gate, so I had to ask him if my brother and Daryl has returned. As soon as I heard Carl’s response, I decided that I am going to go look for Daniel.

Something must have gone wrong if he hasn’t returned home by now. “Rick!” I called out, seeing his figure at the front porch of the house. He was speaking with Carol when I called him, and when he heard me he made his way towards me. I started loading my gun when Rick walked up to me.

“Yeah?” Rick asked, noticing my anxiety by my posture.

“My brother isn’t back and I’m going to go look for him,” I said, cocking my gun. I spun on my heels and almost made my way towards the gate but Rick’s hand on my shoulder stopped me.