Chapter 4: Can't Let You Rot

~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 4~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~

“Is it just me or do you guys smell rain?” I heard T-Dog ask as he slowly got onto his feet. My eyes darted up to the sky, and I was unhappy to see dark, thick rain clouds that brought the scent of rain with them. I heard Merle grunt in agreement as he shifted his sitting position.

We all went back to the ledge and looked for Rick and Glenn, but they weren’t near our truck yet. I bit my lip, anxious for them. I felt a drop of rain land on the top of my nose, making my breath get taken away. I heard a gasp escape from Andrea’s mouth as rain started to lightly land on the roof. What was just a little bit of rain quickly turned to a downpour, and when we looked at Rick and Glenn, we feared the worst.

The walker’s down there turned their heads to them, noticing that the dead smell on them is slowly fading away. “Fuck!” Andrea gasped, grabbing her hair. I was wide-eyed seeing all of those walkers notice Glenn and Rick, and I don’t want to witness another brutal death. I pulled Andrea in for a hug, and I knew we both needed it. Her hands shook as she let out little sobs. “We’re dead…” Andrea whimpered.

“We’ll be fine,” I assured, turning back to the ledge.

“Nope, Blodie’s right. We’re fucked,” Merle said as he pursed his lips. I glared at him, not needing this negative attitude right now. Morales was looking through Merle’s rifle to see Glenn and Rick better, and he had a pretty excited face. I don’t get what he sees because all we see is Rick and Glenn being chased by a herd of walkers.

“They made it to the fence!” Morales said as he waved us over. He let me look through the scope and I saw Rick and Glenn climb over a fence as they made their way to the parking lot. We’re going to make it! A smile rose on my face as I let Andrea, Jacqui, and T-Dog look too.

I squinted my eyes to see what else is going on, and saw the walkers push down the fence. They were in the truck by now, so they were fine. But how are they going to get us with out getting killed themselves? Andrea was looking through the scope when the truck drove off and away from us.

“They’re leaving us? T-they’re leaving us!!!” Andrea gasped. My jaw dropped when I saw the car disappear behind a building. I stumbled backwards, staring at the ground. They left! How could they do that to us? I heard Merle let out a angry growl hearing that the sheriff and Glenn left us for dead.

All of a sudden, T-Dog’s walky-talky started making static noises, showing that Glenn or Rick were trying to communicate to us. We all stared at it until we heard Rick’s voice. “Get to the garage’s…. we’ll meet you there… hurry…” we heard him say through the static. In a split second, Andrea, Morales, and Jacqui sprinted towards the stairs that led to the garages. Merle widened his eyes and thrashed around, yelling,” You cant leave me here! Get me out!” T-Dog had the key, and I was running for the door myself. Everyone was already half way down the stairs but T-Dog was still debating whether to give the key to Merle or not. After a second of hearing Merle trying to convince him, T-Dog ran over to Merle, the key in his hands. Hurry up! I don’t want to leave anyone behind but I don’t want to die either.

Then the worst happens. The key slipped between T-Dog’s fingers as it fell to the ground. I gasped as I saw it go into a drain, making all of our faces go pale. “Ya’ did tha’ on purpose!” Merle screamed at him, thrashing around angrily in his cuffs.

“I’m sorry, man! I’m sorry,” T-Dog cried as he ran towards the stairs, where I waited. Was he really just going to go??? Was he going to go and leave Merle out here for the walkers to get him?!?