Chapter 24: The Search for Daniel II

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 24~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

As if on reflex, I grabbed my pistol from it’s sheath and pointed it at the Governor, ready to pull the trigger. Merle had his weapon pointed at the man as well, his eyes narrowed. All the hatred I had towards the Governor was clearly shown on my face, and I wanted nothing more then to end this man’s life. He didn’t deserve to live.

Before I could pull the trigger, Rick put his hand up.

“Stop, let him speak,” Rick demanded, his eyes hardened. How could I let him talk! He threw Merle, Daryl and I into a pit to kill each other, all for entertainment. He even killed Andrea. He killed Milton and Andrea! He killed half of Woodbury for Christ’s sake!

Reluctantly, I relaxed my shoulders and calmed down, my gun still pointed at the Governor. If that man even looks at me, I’l

“I came to talk, not fight,” the Governor said in all seriousness. Daryl crept around him and pushed him to walk into the camp, and my jaw dropped. I can’t believe this.

Merle noticed my enraged expression, and to calm me, he said, “Don’t ya’ worry ‘bout ‘em, Mariah. We’ll kill ‘em later.” Driving a bullet into his face would be so rewarding.

Just the piece of mind of knowing that he was dead would make me feel a lot better. Daryl and Rick led the Governor to a post, where we tied his hands and feet to it.

“Alright, we are going to be civilized and allow him to speak,” Rick said, turning to us. He kept his gaze locked on me, wanting me to agree to this ‘civilized’ idea. It was a stupid idea. Being civilized isn’t going to let you survive this shitty world.

The Governor looked at me, and with concern in his voice he said, “I may know where your beloved brother is.”

Pressing my gun roughly against his head, I spat, “And where could that be? Huh?” He had to tell me. Why did I believe him when he said he knew where Daniel could be? Because he knows that he is missing, meaning that he actually did see him.

How else could he have known about Daniel?

Rick stepped forward and separated my gun from it’s place at the Governor’s forehead, still wanting to be civilized. Fuck that.

“I’ll show you,” the Governor replied.

I nearly laughed. “Yeah, real funny. I ain’t going anywhere with you leading the way. You are going to tell me the exact location of my brother and you are going to tell me now,” I snapped, my green eyes narrowed. I saw Merle smirk. He’s always liked the fire that burned inside me.

The Governor sighed, hanging his head. “Well, I saw a group of biters drive him into Woodbury, and he’s stuck in there,” the Governor finally replied.

“And how can I trust your word?” I asked, glaring daggers.

“Because I realized what I’ve done, all of the things I’ve done. I regret it, and I thought I’d start fresh by helping you get your brother back,” the Governor said, a faint smile on his face.

“Bull shit,” Daryl muttered.

I agreed, but I still need to search Woodbury for my brother. What if he wasn’t lying about my brother? What pisses me off is that if he saw my brother get stuck, why didn’t he help him?

Cocking my gun, I placed it back firmly on the Governor’s forehead. Kneeling down, my face inches from the Governor’s, I said, “If you are lying to me, if I don’t find my brother there, you are eating this bullet.” I pressed the gun closer to his skin, my eyes narrowed.