Chapter 19: Daryl Is A Good Teacher

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 19~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“Your sitting in the back, Merle,” I said as I opened the passenger door for Daniel to get in the car. Merle groaned in annoyance and made a fake pout face. “Hurry up, you guys got everything, right?” I asked as I got in the driver’s seat.

We are on our way to find somewhere to hold up if the prison is torn apart. I wanted Daniel to sit on the passenger’s side because the bond my brother and I have isn’t that strong anymore. He has grown and his heart is loyal to only Rick’s group, not to me anymore. He proved that when he said that he is staying with Rick no matter what.

Merle got in the back of the green KIA, mumbling to himself on how he should be sitting in front. “Yeah we got ev’rythin’,” Merle said clearly before going off muttering again. I checked to see if he had his weapon on him, and he does. I have my pistol and knife with me while Merle has a pistol, AUG, and a knife/hand. He’s set.

“Open the gates!” I said and then Rick opened it. I pressed the gas pedal to the ground, hitting a walker on the way. Rick closed the gate behind us as we drove through the walker-infested field. “Alright Merle, where is a good spot to look at,” I asked as I made a left turn out of the prison.

Daniel was in charge of spotting anything unusual while we drove while Merle was in charge of the map, which seems pretty fair, right? Merle made a ‘hmmm’ sound as he looked down at the map. “Well, there are loads of places darlin’. There is a large property in the forest next to Woodbury, but by the looks of it, it is probably hidden,” Merle said. I knew he wasn’t talking about Nick’s property because Nick’s cottage isn’t that big of a place. “Damn. It’s good to know the layout of the land ov’r here,” Merle said.

Pointing to a place on the map, he said, “Here’s the prison. There’s Woodbury. Ye’ remember Nick, Mariah? Yeah, I found his place too. Follow this road and keep goin’ straight.” I nodded, ignoring the left and right turns. Daniel kept quiet through out the ride, his eyes narrowed as he looked outside.

“Make this right turn into the forest, follow the dirt road,” Merle said.

Smirking, I said, “Follow the yellow brick road!” The Wizard Of Oz used to be my favorite movie when I was in my teens, so I just felt like quoting it. Not one of my peers when I was younger liked it since it was an ‘older’ movie. Merle gave me a look that meant: Is she outta’ her mind? I just laughed at his expression, and I saw Daniel give a small smirk.

I followed the dirt road until we came across a 7ft rock wall with a wooden gate at the road. I stopped the car, scanning the area for any walkers. Daniel looked around too, and with out asking, walked out the car. I opened my mouth to scold him on how he needs to wait for my OK to come out. But I kept quiet. Daniel has grown, he is mature and I know he is able to take good care of himself. The trees around provided cool shade that shielded us from the spring sun.

“Well here we are,” I said, putting my hands on my hips. A near by moan sounded, and I slowly turned. A female walker was limping towards us, her arms reaching out for it’s food. None of us bothered to grab a gun, all of us knew that shooting it would waste a bullet and draw more walkers towards us. I pulled out my knife, but then Daniel stopped me.

“I got this,” he said with a solemn face. I gave him a short nod, slightly wanting to take care of the walker myself. Daniel was still my baby brother, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to believe that he is becoming an adult.

Daniel walked up to the walker, pulling out a long knife. He stopped and let the walker come to him, his face rock hard and his grip on the knife tight. When close enough, Daniel shoved the knife into the walker’s eye. He twisted the knife and then yanked it out.