Chapter 16: History Repeats Itself

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Chapter 16~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“Open the gates, Merle’s in that car!” I heard Martinez yell. I was sitting down reading a good book on a bench when I heard of Merle’s return. I looked over to the wall and saw the gate open, and the Governor was cocking his gun. Andrea was following him like usual. I stood up and slowly made my way towards the commotion. I squinted my eyes and saw that the driver wasn’t Merle.

It was an Asian guy. He looked awfully familiar. I widened my eyes in realization. It was Glenn! I quickened my pace and found the Governor pull Glenn out of the car roughly, his gun pointed at his head.

Stopping when I was near, I said, “Wait, Governor! He is part of my brother’s group!” Glenn’s head perked when he heard my voice. People started to gather, and then I saw Merle pull out a woman from the back seat.

“Get them to the chamber,” I heard the Governor order Martinez and Merle. The Governor grabbed the woman and dragged her towards the building that held the ‘chamber’.

Merle glanced over to me then roughly grabbed Glenn’s hair while Martinez grabbed his wrists. My jaw dropped on how they were treating them. We knew Glenn! “Merle!” I said, following them into the chamber. Merle looked at me again, and then I said, “That’s Glenn!”

“Oh I know, darlin’,” Merle chuckled, gripping Glenn’s hair tighter. I saw his face wince in pain from where Merle grabbed him, and I was getting angry. They kept me out of the chamber, and I was waiting patiently for them to let me in. I feel like I have no word in this! The Governor already disappeared with that girl he dragged with him. Finally, after a minute of hearing a few yells, they let me in.

Only one other time have I been in the chamber, and it was not a pleasant place. Merle and Martinez tied Glenn to a chair, making sure the rope was tight enough to keep him down. “Leave, Martinez,” Merle ordered. Martinez nodded, and left the room. Glenn glared at me, and I saw his face swollen with blood oozing from his nose. Merle had cut his nose too, and I frowned. I grabbed a tissue from my pocket and then wiped the blood off his face.

“So… So this is where you went?” Glenn said, breathing heavily. I turned to him, my expression hard and serious. “Look at me, Mariah. I thought you were good. You are just as bad as Merle. How could you be on his side?” Glenn asked, closing his eyes for a brief moment.

I turned to Merle. “Why are you treating him like that? We should be welcoming him into Woodbury, not treating him like a piece of shit,” I snapped at Merle. How the hell are we going to find out if our brothers are alive and where they are if we give Glenn reasons to keep his mouth shut?

“Do ye’ really think tha’ he would jus’ tell us where they’re held up at?” Merle asked, glancing over to Glenn.

“Uh- yeah, they would. Now they wont because you beat the shit out of him!” I snapped, my eyes narrowing. “God damn it Merle, you obviously aren’t in a rush to see Daryl, are you?” I asked, putting my hands on my hips. I could tell in the look of Merle’s face that he did not like the way I was scolding him. I turned to Glenn, and then kneeled down so that I was at his level. “I’m sorry- they shouldn’t of done that to you,” I said.

Glenn glared at me, his brown eyes piercing my green ones. “Your words are meaningless. You say you are sorry, yet I am still tied here with my face looking like this,” Glenn snapped. I frowned. I remember Glenn from when we went to the rooftop in Atlanta. He was a good man, he doesn’t deserve this.

I stood back up, sighing. Footsteps sounded and then Merle and I turned to see the Governor entering the room. “Leave,” he said in a raspy voice. Giving Glenn a last look of sorrow, Merle and I walked out of the chamber.