Chapter 4

Yeojin had calmed down, especially thanks to Diana and Selene that came down from the upper floor and were now both snuggled on Yeojin's lap, receiving lots of attention. They had moved to sit on the couch, where they could be more comfortable, with Hyunjin sitting at her right side and Jinsol at her left side.

"Are you feeling better now?" Jinsol asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

She nodded, keeping her eyes down towards the cats.

"Was it a rough day?" Hyunjin asked, joining her in petting her cats.

"Yes. I felt my teeth grow mid class before lunch, and I got so nervous. I had to lie to my friends, saying I was not hungry so I didn't have lunch with them. I went outside to get some air, and felt my teeth again, and my eyes hurting. I hid where I thought nobody would find me and..."

"And you fed," Hyunjin finished for her. "But Heejin was likely watching you already. I can't believe she followed you in school, and all the way here..."

"I'm sorry," Yeojin mumbled, her fists curling into shaking balls.

"You don't have to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong." Jinsol grabbed her hand, and she relaxed, holding Jinsol's hand back.

"Heejin is a vampire slayer. I don't know that many details about them, but they're an organization that, well, hunt and kill vampires," Hyunjin explained. "Thing is, I also hunt vampires. But the ones I know are dangerous, not all, because I know there are vampires out there trying to live normal lives and don't even drink human blood. Like me, and you. But they don't see it that way. They believe they're all the same."

"Do you hate them?" Yeojin asked.

Hyunjin smiled. "When they do stupid things like Heejin did, but generally, no. In the end, our goal is the same. It's just the way we do things, our ideals and morals that are different. But I can't forgive Heejin for what she did."

"Hyunjin, don't make it harder on yourself. Remember what you agreed on," Jinsol said.

"I know. I can work with her and still not forgive her, can't I?"

Jinsoul rolled her eyes. "As long as it doesn't get in the way of your mission."

"As long as she behaves. Anyway, ready for a lesson?"

"Lesson?" Yeojin frowned.

"I'm teaching you what is there to know about vampires. It's not a lot, honestly, because as far as I know, nobody's actually studying us. I have no idea where vampires came from or exactly how our bodies work. But basically we don't age, wounds heal super fast, and we have increased strength and much more accurate and empowered senses."

Yeojin's chin could reach the floor. "W-We're like super heroes. But... I didn't feel any changes."

"Because it also requires training. It's like a skill, you know. Just like some people are born with a natural talent to draw or dance. But if they're not born with it, they can still become great at those things with practice. I was really strong right after being turned, and because I decided I wanted to kill vampires, I trained a lot and had to learn how to control my strength and senses. Also, you were turned yesterday, your body is still adapting. That's why I told you yesterday to be careful with your strength now. It's natural if you start being able to grab much heavier things, or if you punch a wall, you actually break it. You need to learn and practice how to control it."

Yeojin stared down at her own hands. "How?"

"You'll get used to it. If you also practice and focus on your senses, you can sharpen then even further. Listen and smell things that are much further away, catch on quiet sounds and faint scents. If you activate your eyes at night, you'll see much better as well."