Chapter 22

The day went by in the blink of an eye, yet the thought didn't leave Hyunjin's mind for a second. The night had fallen, and with it, her beloved full moon was about to show up in the sky.

Hyunjin took the opportunity that Heejin was in the bathroom to sneak outside. She knew if Heejin saw her leaving, she would ask where she was going, and most likely, ask her if she could tag along. It was not like Hyunjin didn't want Heejin by her side to watch the full moon with, just not now. She needed some time alone with the moon to pray. Maybe she had some answers for her.

After looking for a good spot to sit and watch the sky, a bit further back from the house, she sat and looked up. The city lights illuminated the horizon, but not enough to erase the beauty of the full moon, shining at its brightest. Hyunjin smiled, greeting the moon in her mind. How she missed her, like she always did because they could only meet once a month. And how it had been exactly one month ago, in the previous full moon night, that she met Heejin.

Then, her scent reached her nose. Was it so engraved, that all it took now was thinking about her? No. She heard rustle in the trees behind her, and turning her neck, she could see Heejin walking towards her.

Hyunjin waited for her to reach her side and sit to ask the question in her mind.

"How did you find me?"

"I was taking a walk with Jungeun when I saw you." Heejin looked ahead, at the beautiful scenery before them.

"Wait, when? You were in the bathroom when I left. Have I been here for that long?"

Heejin met her eyes now, and laughed. "I'm joking. I asked her to track your scent and bring me to you."

"Wow, stalker."

Heejin punched her arm. "I knew you were out watching the moon and I wanted to do it as well. You mentioned yesterday the full moon was tonight." Heejin stared at the moon again. "It's beautiful. And you're right, it's even bigger and brighter tonight."

Another reason why Hyunjin wanted to go watch the full moon alone was exactly that one. Because it didn't matter if it had been a month since she last saw it, she still could only look at Heejin, and marvel at her side profile, as if she had never done it before.

"It's been a month since we met," Hyunjin blurted. "And since you tried to kill me."

Heejin pouted. "I'm sorry, I didn't know any better."

"I'm joking around. You would never kill me."

"Not now."

"But you wanted to, that night."

"I did. But even if I try to recall what I was feeling that night, I can't. Its's only been a month, but it honestly feels like it's been a year. And I... I feel so bad when I remember how I didn't hesitate in attacking you, and genuinely wanted you dead." Heejin's voice lowered, alongside her head.

"Hey, I was just joking." Hyunjin laid a hand on her arm. "Don't feel bad. As you said, you didn't know any better, but now you do. And look at where we are now."

Heejin raised her head, slowly, turning it to face Hyunjin. "All those bad, hateful feelings, I don't even know them anymore."

"I know. I can feel how they changed over the time, and now I only feel..."

Love.

But Hyunjin couldn't come up with finishing the sentence. It was not forced. The conversation went there naturally, like it was meant to go that way, even if she tried her best to run away from it.

It was as if the moon was guiding her towards it.

"Each one of the full moons in a year has a name," Hyunjin said instead. "June's full moon, the one up in the sky the night we met, is called the Lovers' Moon. Ironic, isn't it?"